Notices

Need to quit

Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to quit

I have been struggling for the last five years or so. I am getting by at work and have a wonderful family. But I cannot seem to stop drinking a bottle, or even two, of wine each night. I am hungover the vast majority of days. My self-loathing is completely undermining me.

It seems like almost every day I promise that I will stop drinking and it just does not stop. Unfortunately, my wife drinks a lot too. For years, I have secretly blamed her but this is my problem and nobody is at fault other than me.

I am posting here today to hopefully get some support and at least in someway publoicly acknowledge that I am committed to quitting drinking. Honestly, I am a bit scared.

I have three awesome boys and I have to stop being such a horrible example. My eight year old this morning told me that I get drunk a lot. That absolutely has crushed me. I am so upset at myself for getting to this point.

I apologize for the rambling post but I feel a little bit alone in this...

However, I am not going to drink tonight -- even if I have to stay in the safety of my office.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome dukes44! Your not alone in this, congratulations on making the decision to quit
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I to once blamed others drinking for my addiction, and though they to may have had problems, they were in no way my problem. Congrats on realizing this in yourself a great step forward in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You're wise to take care of this before it gets worse - and it will get worse. There's a lot of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

The being scared part is normal. You are used to dealing with life with Alcohol. So stopping is like jumping into the unknown. But guess what, the other side of the door you are about to crosse is a really happy and peaceful one.

Good luck!