Notices

I'm back.....

Old 03-15-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back.....

Well hello everyone!

I haven't really been on here for a couple of weeks but I wanted to stop in and say..... YES, I am still sober! It has been 46 whole days.

I am beginning to feel really good both mentally and physically. I still think about how good it would be to have a few drinks on occasion but I quickly dismiss the thought(s) as the last wishes of my dying inner demons lol.

It was not so long ago that I felt like they were just screaming in my head every five minutes, "you need to drink". Now the voice is mostly silent and when I hear it,it is but a mere whisper and one I can tune out.

I hope this makes sense to some of you?

One other thing I wanted to share is the incredible freedom I now feel. I can go anywhere and do anything without worrying how I am going to fit alcohol into the equation. It is truly liberating and something I never thought I would be able to accomplish. Without reading the stories and receiving the support of everyone here, I don't know if I could have gotten where I am now so a huge thank you to all of you!!!

I am going to try and check in more often and am now thinking maybe I can finally think about giving up the cigarettes as well.
For those wondering, I have used the Rational Recovery or AVRT approach and I highly recommend it for it's simplicity and the way it puts your recovery into your own hands. You are truly the one in command of your decisions and I think that is very self empowering.

Just my thoughts....... Thank you all and c u soon!

Sherri
Old 03-15-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you checked in and let us know how you're doing. It sounds like things are going well.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forty six days sober is great! I'm glad your sober life is shaping up so well.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I have a question for you....

One of the reasons I haven't been here is because it seems like when I am here then I think more about drinking for some reason. When I stay away I am able to better put it out of mind and keep moving forward. Have you had anyone else experience this?

Am I making a mistake by not coming here more often. A false sense of security perhaps? I am a bit worried that maybe it's been all too easy?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Sherri - 46 days is great

Originally Posted by WildernessVoice View Post

One of the reasons I haven't been here is because it seems like when I am here then I think more about drinking for some reason. When I stay away I am able to better put it out of mind and keep moving forward. Have you had anyone else experience this?

Am I making a mistake by not coming here more often. A false sense of security perhaps? I am a bit worried that maybe it's been all too easy?
Different things work for different people Sherri.

I think thinking about not drinking is pretty common for most of us, regardless of what we do - but it does die away.

If not being here works better for you, so be it - just remember we're here if you find yourself in trouble

D
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well everyone is different. I have 40 days and I don't feel like you do, but that's ok. My cravings are like a low grade rumble in the background. Right now, I don't pay them any mind. Early this week, we were face timing with my husbands daughter. In the middle of the conversation, she said guess what beer I'm drinking. Holy Cow! I had a craving that was like a shot in the heart, it took my breath away. But I think I'm doing ok Blessings to you.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dee & Raider,

So good to hear from you both again.

I actually like being on here, it keeps me encouraged and reminds me that I must stay focused because it would be easy to succumb to the just "one beer" thinking. It has happened often lately. Too funny Raider, I basically had the same thing happen to me yesterday ugh!!! After 46 days my regular Chinese food hangout is still asking me why no beer every time I come in. Going to have to switch to a new place lol.

Mostly my BF has tried to convince me that I shouldn't give it so much thought and that I should stop focusing on it. I have been thinking lately that maybe it's just his discomfort in having to discuss how I feel about it. I don't feel he is very helpful
He seems to have the mindset of , just do it. Like it's that easy for everyone.

I don't talk about it to anyone except here because I feel like he doesn't really want to hear it. Kind of aggravates me I guess.
Perhaps I should be doing this the way I think is right, which would mean I would be here alot more.....
Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Big congrats xxxxxx
Old 03-15-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

another spin

Well hello everyone!

I still think about how good it would be to have a few drinks on occasion but I quickly dismiss the thought(s) as the last wishes of my dying inner demons lol.

It was not so long ago that I felt like they were just screaming in my head every five minutes, "you need to drink". Now the voice is mostly silent and when I hear it,it is but a mere whisper and one I can tune out.

I hope this makes sense to some of you?

Sherri
Hi Sherri, I am glad you did check in because the way you think of your cravings in a objective way really is unique and helpful. Yea, it is not me it is my demons talking to me. I like it.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think this is more common than you think WV. I read a post a couple of weeks back someone was fearing that reading SR posts may have been increasing their desire to drink. We are both pretty close in how much sober time we have. My personal experience is that reading posts does on rare occasion have a negative impact on my desire not to drink. Perhaps I may hear about someone who drank much more than I did in the past, and so I feel I may be able to control it. Or maybe it's just that reading the posts keeps alcohol on my mind. I feel for me the benefits of reading and posting on SR certainly outweighs the negatives. For each person, I don't think there is a "one way works for everyone" You have to just figure out what works for you to stay sober, and if taking a break from SR is helpful, then thats what you should do. I think once I get more time under my belt, and I stop thinking about the fact that I'm not drinking all the time, I may back off SR a bit. Then hopefully after I get some real time under my belt, I will come back and try to help others with what I learned. Best of luck and great job on 46!!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well put. My nearly squashed demons still try make their voices heard on those some of those lonely weekends But I barely notice their urges. Congrats on your ongoing success. Like you I will be checking in tomorrow on my 90 day mark. Keep up the good work.