Notices

Having Trouble Quitting

Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having Trouble Quitting

Hi all.

I'm a 25yo guy who can't get binge drinking under control. I eat healthy, exercise, but on the weekend I get sloppy drunk. I'm cleaning up stains on the wall this morning. I can't just have one or two... I start going hog wild.

A week ago I vowed to be sober and last night ruined it, again. Again. A friend wanted to go see a show at some bar. I offered to drive so that I wouldn't drink but someone else did. Someone bought me a drink when they saw that I wasn't. Then I started buying rounds.

I always make it back safe and all that but I took it way too far like usual. I felt so ashamed this morning. I cried in the shower. Yep. My estranged father is/was an alchie and I'm turning into that. It's scary. I don't know what to do.

I won't even drink unless it's a social setting and appropriate to do so. But it tends to be, far too often. How long until it ruins my career somehow, kills me, who knows. I felt really alone so I joined here. Any advice is helpful.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, you have come to the right place, welcome

If you feel you cant control your drinking then yes, I would imagine you do have a problem. There is lots of support on here, read some threads and join the ' class of march 2014", we all chose to give up drink this month. There are lots of insightful posts and people are so encouraging, we keep each other going. Join the group and good luck, try to stay sober for a while, it is so worth it. You are young, dont wait until youre 40 like me and many others before you realise its a problem, start early.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, I just made my first post, too. I don't know if I can give any real advice, it's day 1 for me, AGAIN. I always make the wrong decision, too. I drink for a day or two, then go through the pain. I have medication that helps, and I take vitamins and valerian root to help the shakes and anxiety. I go through the cycle, and then when I well enough to go to AA meetings, maybe even get a sponsor, I make the stupid choice again.

I don't know if you've tried AA, I've never really put the effort in it to make it work, but I know it helps. I've never been a social drinker, just a quiet drinker at home. I lost my job (unrelated to drinking) and then fell into the hole. I have a girlfriend that I've hurt so badly, but she hasn't left me yet. I feel incredibly lucky, but she came over last night to my parents where I'm currently staying to get better, and it was tough.

I feel so ashamed, too. I don't know what you're support system is, but talk to family and not drinking friends, if you have any. Don't be alone, that might help.

We can do it! We can get better and kick this thing! Stay safe, let's get sober!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Last night was really a test of whether I can be 'normal' or not. Like, go to a bar without getting sloshed. Have a drink or two without getting sloshed. I failed hard. All week I kept re-upping my commitment not to drink and I did.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried so many times, always failed. If it was easy there would be no alcoholics! Its really hard, I had to hide myself away and I agree with darkknight, is best to stay close to family and non drinkers for now. Boring but you have to start looking after yourself and not trying to fit in. Otherwise I guarantee you the cycle will continue and continue ad nauseam
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Null and Darknight - welcome, you'll find this is as very supportive community of people who all 'get' how tough quitting can be so I'm glad you found your way here x
Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Nullandv01d - it's so good to have you join us.

It's great that you're taking a hard look at what drinking is doing to your life. It isn't how often we drink - but what it does to us when we do. Bad and unpredictable things always happened to me when I tried to have 'a few'. I didn't stop back when I first saw the warning signs though - and ended up totally dependent on it. It took me many years to admit I couldn't ever touch it again. I'm glad you're reaching out for help now.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's the crappy thing about alcohol. Makes you feel alone. Always alone. Even when you are with others. At least it did me. When I drank it I wasn't really there and when I didn't I felt worthless and alone. Alone with myself. And the myself I was alone with wasn't even the real me.

It really offered me nothing. Absolutely nothing. All I got out of it was a sad up and down repetitive existence of the cycle of letting myself down over and over and over. Until I didn't even recognize myself.

That what it did for me.

Good new though is I finally found my way out of it. I had to hate it more than I wanted to drink it. Took a lot of work and support to get there but it was possible. I had to change a lot of things. I needed help changing a lot of those things. More good news. Many many ways to get that help. I just had to find my path. And every day that a piece of my path got me another day away from it, the stronger I got.

Keep reading around here. I found the start of my path right on here. I needed some real life support too but this place is where it all started for me. I was willing to do anything to stop. Anything. But I had to take some action. I couldn't think my problem away. I had to do something. I had to change or nothing would.

Just me. I think everyone has to find what works for them because while we all suffered from the effects of our drinking that cr*p, the way we need to stop drinking and stay stopped drinking is as unique as we all are. There are so many stories of people here who have done it. Living happy lives not feeling alone and worthless no matter what life has thrown at them. Not a one of them is drinking mind you so that's where I learned it starts.

You can do it! There is a way out. It ain't always easy but it can be done. You are worth it!

Welcome. You are among friends here who understand.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm glad that you joined. I hope it helps to know that you have come to a place where everyone has been exactly where you are at this moment and we all understand. Read posts, you'll find a lot that you can identify with.

You're not alone in this and it CAN be done.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
shi

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
Hi, you have come to the right place, welcome

. Join the group and good luck, try to stay sober for a while, it is so worth it. You are young, dont wait until youre 40 like me and many others before you realise its a problem, start early.

I am 39 and waited toooo long. I'm in the Feb 2014.....welcome.....360shoes,u nailed it.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you 360shoes I know what you mean. Once I had a couple drinks that's all I could focus on. People were talking around me. A show was going on. I didn't even care.

Glad to finally post... I've read the forums for a long time but never could get the nerve to say anything. I really appreciate reading the stories and seeing other people having the same issue. I don't want to ever find a 'rock bottom' but the signs are all there.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the same boat myself mate I wish you we'll...
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxxx
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR nullandv01d

My life pretty much revolved around alcohol and drinking - at first just the weekends, but later on everyday.

I had to make some pretty major changes to my lifestyle, but I don't regret them - drinking was destroyed everything I loved and killing me from the inside out.

You'll find a lot of support here. Check out our Class of March support thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D
Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi guys just stopping by to say how things are going,its paddys day today and as I live in Ireland its a big thing. Ok well first thing this morning was pretty bad with people texting me to go out but I said no and sticking to it just put a movie on and going to chill but will be ready for it to come again and try break me... Hope everyone here is getting on ok

Sorry for posting in your thread mate my mistake - Update
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AccessAw, that must be tough

Stick to your guns! Its just another day to us alcoholics, we arent like them, we cant just go out drinking for one day, have fun then stop...Glad you have decided to say no, only a few hours to go and you'll be so glad you did

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Similar situation

Hi nullandvoid
I'm a 26 year old guy and binge drinking has been the cause of practically all of my difficulties in life. I have continued to take chances for too long, and have been mostly lucky, but I know that will end soon.

I have had guilt-induced feelings of apprehension about my drinking, but this is the first time I have been honest with myself and said it is a fork in the road, one way is misery at best (don't even want to speculate) and the other is a promising robust life.

I think I knew all the times before that I would drink again but would use the guilt to not drink for 2 weeks to 3 months. I know it is one day at a time, but for the first time I am looking at the big picture. I.e. when you think of all the problems and brutal mornings you get to look forward to for a few nights you convince yourself was a "great time", the gravity of the situation becomes obvious.

Enough rambling, I think it is great that you are being conscientious about your situation, and I hope it doesn't fade away soon.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree Armitage. I think of all the horrible things that could have happened. I've passed out in the shower. Could have drowned. I've driven basically drunk. Risky sexual things. Blown tons of money. Damaged reputation. Taken days to look human again.

I need to plan my weekends around activities far and away from booze. Last weekend the equation made me drink. Drinking friends + sober ride + at a bar. I was doing so well too... focused on the show for so long. But a couple drinks in and the switch flipped. I can pinpoint almost the exact moment. I ended up at home at 4am with a messy bathroom. Whole next day shot.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. It is possible to stay sober but you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.