Courage To Change 03/16/14

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 03/16/14

Before Al-Anon, forgiveness meant power to me. I could judge the offender -- the person who wasn't doing what I wanted -- and then exercise my power by showing that I could rise above offense and magnanimously bestow forgiveness. But I would never forget what had been done.
Today I know that forgiveness has nothing to do with power. It does not give me control. Forgiveness is simply a reminder that I am on equal footing with every other child of God. We all do good and noble things at times; on other occasions we may offend. I have no right to judge, punish, or absolve anyone. When I behave self righteously. I'm the one who suffers -- I separate myself from my fellow human beings, focus on others, and keep busy with hateful and negative thoughts. By taking this attitude I tell myself that I am a victim, so I remain a victim. The most forgiving thing I can do is to remember that my job is not to judge others, but to think and behave in a way that lets me feel good.

Today's Reminder

I don't know the motives or circumstances that cause another's behavior. I do know that when I hold onto resentment and blame, I occupy my spirit with bitterness. Today I will find a more nurturing way to fill my self up.
"You can't hold a man down without staying down."

~Booker T. Washington
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow that's awesome. I'm not a believer anymore but that's still some powerful words to live by.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every sentence is powerful. Great reading today. Thanks for posting Carlotta.