Notices

first day of sobriety

Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first day of sobriety

Hi all: I have been sober in the past, but I have never gotten past about 100 days or so. I have been drinking about 2 bottles of wine a day, sometimes even 3 bottles. I am a functioning alcoholic. But I live in my own private hell full of guilt and shame. I want to be sober and in recovery, but I just do not know how! I also wonder how I will ever be able to go out and meet people and date a guy, without using alcohol to relax me. I feel like I am more "fun" when I am drinking. BUT... as I said, I wake up in self loathing each morning. I am a single mom of a great kid. I want to be sober for myself but also for my daughter. She knows that I have a drinking problem, but I don't think she gets how serious my issues are. I want to make ammends to so many different people, but when I start to look at my life and all the mistakes I have made, I just want to get a bottle of wine and hide and get drunk. It is really a vicious cycle. I have a love/hate relationship with alcohol. I know that it is ruining my life and my health and my relationships. I don't exactly know what to do anymore. Help!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the same way sometimes, actually all the time, just know that it can be done, I get caught in the I just want to be a normal drinker trap, but I think that by being on here and asking for help it a great sign of how you want to really live your life
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am a mom with wine issues, too. :-)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Wishful! You'll find plenty of encouragement & support here.

I sabotaged myself many times as I tried to get sober. Just as I'd begin to 'surface' and face real life, awful thoughts took over & I wanted to get numb. Once I convinced myself that nothing would get resolved or made better by drinking I was able to let go of it. It never really helps us cope - just masks our feelings & keeps us from taking charge of our lives. You can live the life you want to - be kind & patient with yourself as you heal. There's nothing we can do about the past - but we can hold our heads high and move forward into the future with a clear head. You can do this wishful.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take some time and read here on SR. Lots of great stuff.

Go over to the Class of March 2014 thread. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Lots of people posting there that have the same questions as you. There are also answers on how other folks with the same questions have proceeded towards a solution.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-15-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: updated march link
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I was a wine slugging momma myself. Maybe my story might give you some strength.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html
Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I didn't know if I could quit again either, but the support here has been phenomenal and has helped me get to 77 days so far. I'm starting to believe I can do this.

You can, too.

Check out the March support thread in this forum. The January thread has been a lifesaver for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I was a wine slugging momma myself. Maybe my story might give you some strength. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html
Your story is really powerful, and sadly familiar. Nice to know it can be put in the past, too. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AO- I just read your story and you have no idea how it resonated with me. What is it with wine? No other alcohol masks the pain as much yet the anxiety it causes is terrible. I started drinking wine because I enjoyed it. I learned about it, researched it. It was a fun hobby until things in my life went sour, and then it became a tool. Not quite a year ago I started thinking it was time to quit. I've lapsed, but I know I must face life sober if I'm going to regain any type if life. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love wine but it gives me anxiety as well. Congrats on your first day.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I totally understand. My first professional job, I was tipsy during the interview. No joke. I drank just to relax my nerves. We need to find another way.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Wishful xxxxx
Old 03-15-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome wishful

I didn't think I could ever change and be free of my addiction, but SR helped me to do just that

I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR, wishful, you'll find a great deal of help here at SR
Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Everyone here who got sober started where you are now: at day one. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I was a wine slugging momma myself. Maybe my story might give you some strength. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html
Welcome wishful, glad you are here .

AlphaOmega, I've just followed your thread to your post. Amazing writing. I mirrored that behaviour, minus benzos - but they weren't far off. Thank-you for sharing it again x
Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!