Notices

Psychic Change

Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychic Change

Went to a noon meeting but had to cut it short because of work. It was so nice to relate to the stories today of people that have been going through the same thing that I have. The man who was speaking had kind of an uncanny resemblance of my father which I thought was funny. Anyway,

I wanted to speak but had to go so i'll post here.

The topic was psychic change and your thoughts. I'm a drinker for 20 years and at first it was fun but then the devil hooch turned on me and I couldn't put it down. It was tough to go a day without drinking and then eventually things got worse and worse. I finally starting coming to these rooms in 2012 and got to AA meetings last April. I haven't had a psychic change but have had small experiences and signs here and there (like today) which make believe miracles are possible. I hold onto that.
Can anyone share about psychic changes?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you had asked me a couple weeks into my sobriety if I had a psychic change, I'd have said no. But I don't think I would have made it to 3 and half years sober, the obsession lifted, if I hadn't undergone one.

So, I'm not sure what you expect to see or feel regarding your psychic changes. Don't expect the heavens to open, the seas to part. Just stay sober.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Psychic change was a term that was used by Dr. Silkworth (who was Bill's physician when Bill had his spiritual experience in Towns hospital). Dr Silkworth wrote “The Doctors Opinion” in the book. The steps are designed to produce a spiritual experience, or awakening This would be one form of psychic change. IMO the steps are be the best bet to produce a psychic change. Have you done them?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

had one after working through those steps
Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if this is what you would call a psychic change or not but I can describe 2 experiences. The first is the first time I went to AA voluntarily. That was when they read the steps and I broke down because not even 1% of me could deny any more that I was truly powerless over alcohol. The crumbling of the walls of denial was big for me. The second is my letting go, turning my will over to God and seeing his will work in my life. Not only lifting the drink obsession but freeing me from the bondage of self. These are my experiences only so far.