Notices

Hello, I'm new to this.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new to this.

I've got almost 6 months sober and I've been hanging on by a thread. I'm not sure but all of a sudden am very anxious. I have had a couple of panic attacks which I haven't had in almost a year. I of course used to medicate these with alcohol or anything I felt would help, even OTC. I am really trying to stay clear of all drugs and especially alcohol. Need help. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome JMM99. Congrats on 6 months. Keep hanging on. Keep reading and posting. You'll find a lot support here.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank to stifle my anxiety, too. When I stopped, it persisted. I sought the help of a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Looking back it made sense. I had anxiety my whole life, even when I was a little kid.
You say you want to stay away from drugs, but there is medication that can help.
I take Klonopin and it's worked wonders for me.
If you're open to it, I would suggest seeing a doctor and explaining your situation. You don't have to suffer needlessly.

Best to you.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

JMM99, 6 months is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aka

Hi JMM, 6 months is Awesome! I hope I see that day, anyways I ran across a link someone pasted on a thread here and it about PAWS I thought it was a good read. Hang in there.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 6 months xxxx
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome JMM99 and congratulations on finding SR!

Six months is a terrific accomplishment but it can be a tough time. How are you doing today?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I drank to stifle my anxiety, too. When I stopped, it persisted. I sought the help of a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Looking back it made sense. I had anxiety my whole life, even when I was a little kid.
You say you want to stay away from drugs, but there is medication that can help.
I take Klonopin and it's worked wonders for me.
If you're open to it, I would suggest seeing a doctor and explaining your situation. You don't have to suffer needlessly.

Best to you.
I 2nd on the K.... just make sure you don't take it everyday if you do get a prescription
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do you have any support in real life? Friends or family you can call or meet with if you're having a bad time of it? Support helps so much. Have you considered going to AA meetings for support? I did in my early sobriety.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome to SR!

I find it helpful to just browse here on SR. Makes me realize that what I am going through is normal for folks like us. Also shows me that the ultimate goal, sobriety IS achievable, not just a phantom floating out in the mists of life.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. This does help!! I am doing better today, so far so good. I had a small anxiety attack earlier this morning. I use exercise a lot to alleviate the stress and that helps. I really don't want to go on any psych meds if I can help it. If anyone knows of some natural supplements that could help. I've heard of L-Theanine.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To be content

Chamomile and vitamin B complex work for me. Valerian root at night if I can't sleep. Melatonin gave me really crazy dreams. All are natural. I do feel like the vitamins help, but it could all so be that I'm not hung over and trying to eat and exercise too. I have problems with thinking straight still, but I am more calm and not wound up like I would be the morning after drinking. Wish you the best,
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome JMM99

This is a good place to help you through some rough times. I've used it and it helps. It just one of many tools I use to stay sober and become a better me. Remember we are here for you and support you in your recovery.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you, JMM99.

I've had a couple of panic attacks recently and they are extremely disconcerting. I think you're on to something regarding natural supplements and I think the suggestion by Ghostlight1 is cool, too - would never hurt to talk to a doctor and get his/her view on things in relation to your entire panic attack, medical, and alcohol/drug consumption history. I know you will stress to the doc your concerns re: psych meds and your desire to stay sober should you take this route.

For me, I think my panic attacks are the direct result of my past drinking and have resulted sometimes when I dwell on actions I've taken or people I've hurt or the myriad of my mistakes and regrets due to my alcohol/drug use over the years. I can't go back to drinking and compound these already complicated issues with even more panic attacks. I'm fairly certain I would be more prone to panic attacks if I started to drink again.

What's worked for me is this: after the attack passes and I calm down, I simply "stay calm and remain sober." It's something I learned from this site, something I saw on someone's pic under their member name, and it's really helped.

I can't let these attacks take away my new found freedom in sobriety; can't let the attacks rob me of a joyous life I'm only beginning to understand and be excited about.

I'm right there with you, too, in terms of length of sobriety, just a tad bit over 6 months here and the fog keeps lifting and lifting. And the old-timers here, well they just promise it's going to get better and better. And I believe them. So many good things are happening for me as a result of finding sobriety, and I hope they are for you, too. If you are just hanging on by a thread, please hang on tighter, and get through this thing if only one minute at a time and maintain your sobriety.

Congratulations on 6 months of sobriety - that's really incredible work! There is so much hope for you, for me, and for everyone else here when we continue down that path that we all know is best for us.

I wish you the peace and strength.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Try five minutes of sitting quietly and concentrating on your breathing. I just watched this video the other day about Dan Harris, the ABC correspondent who had a panic attack on the air. He's written a new book called 10% Happier. Interesting!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just watched the link you sent. Awesome!

[QUOTE=StraightAhead;4527717]Try five minutes of sitting quietly and concentrating on your breathing.

I just watched the link. I have been meditating. I'm trying to do it for longer, but can get close to 15 minutes sitting and doing breathing meditation. Thanks for that.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JMM. Hope the extra support helps

D
Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JMM99 View Post
I just watched the link. I have been meditating. I'm trying to do it for longer, but can get close to 15 minutes sitting and doing breathing meditation. Thanks for that.
That's great. I do think it will help a lot. I am a big fan of Richard Rohr. He says that if there is one single thing that he would advise people to do to get in touch with their deeper self, it would be spending 30 minutes a day sitting quietly. He says that makes all the difference. I can't make 30 minutes myself but I can sure do five or ten.

Hang in there, JMM99! Have a great weekend!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a history of panic attacks, too. I hate them. Anti-depressants helped me -- along with an understanding doctor.