my son is going back to residential

Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my son is going back to residential

My son is on probation, and recently discharged from rehab,he has been home one month, and has been drinking and drugs. I told his PO, and Iop counselor about his using. My son is very angry and blaming me for possibly him going to jail. He is agreeing to go back to residential then to halfway house which should have happened after the 1st rehab. He was so messed up last night. He was cleaning my stove at 1am and left the gas on the burner, I smelled the gas,and told him to stop. I took a picture of him so I could show him how messed up he was, denying it. I showed IOP counselor, he was enraged w/me and has denied and lied . He has been manipulating them the whole time. I know I did right thing, but feel guilty about showing picture to counselor. I realize now my 21 year old son is also mentally ill. Feeling so very sad for him.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this. I wish i had some ideas but i don't want to give out bad advice. This must be incredibly hard for you. He needs help and I think you did the right thing.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Enabler, this must be such a difficult time for you. At least your actions are getting him back into treatment. He is angry now but hopefully he will be grateful in the future, when his mind is back to normal. ATM all he is thinking about is his next fix, and look out anyone who gets in the way.
I don't think your name is appropriate because you don't sound like an enabler to me. You did the right thing and his actions left you with little choice.
Is his parole dependent on him living with you?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Enabler---living ANYWHERE else is better than him living with you. For both him and you.

The parent-child dynamic---with an addict adult child is a minefield of potential conflicts.

dandylion
Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Enabler1

I know the pain, believe me. Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing for our hearts to take.

Our children need help, and we are simply not qualified to provide that help. How I wish that love could cure addiction because then it would not exist.

There will probably be a lot more blustering and blowing on your son's part before he finally enters inpatient treatment....be prepared for it and try not to take it to heart! Come here and vent anytime you need!!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry. Don't fall for the blame game. You are doing what is best. Take this time to take good care of YOU.

God Bless!