Notices

Day 25 sober...

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25 sober...

Day 25 Sober...
Hi I am a 34 old male and now have been sober for 25 days. I can't really remember the last time I have been sober for 25 days straight I am guessing maybe when I was 18 years old or so, sigh almost half my life I am writing this as my personal experience with what my decision and progress has been like as a reference to someone who may be thinking of quitting alcohol and just need some insight.
My drinking in general I would say to be moderate with excessive binge drinking specifically over the past 4 years and then a bit lighter in the years before that. My worst was about 2.5 years ago, I was laid off from my job and started to hit the booze pretty hard. Drinking to the point of almost blacking out 5 out of 7 days a week minimum, staying awake drinking all night and sleeping in during the day. It was a very dark time for me I remember waking up most days and saying 'sh*t' out loud as I realized I was very hung over yet again. I am pretty physically fit most often but at this time I gained 20 pounds or so, my face got fat as you hear people saying when they drink too much I didn't believe this until it happened to me. Depression and anxiety was at its peak I didn't socialize much at all and stopped doing any exercise. This experience in these 6 months was the worst but I had many shorter episodes like this every now and then over the years. This past Christmas the drinking really got excessive again and up to about 1.5 months ago, binging on the weekends was getting ridiculous drinking for about 3 nights straight downing a 26er + and maybe 6-10 tall boys (beer) in total. I was at that point where the addiction has taken over me physically/mentally and your not really drinking to get buzzed ( well a happy buzz) just doing it to 'pay' your addiction. Getting that little buzz for 2-4 hours and then paying for it all the next day and really all the time inmost respects. I would always tell myself "Its fine you can binge like this on the weekends once you get that good sleep on Sunday night your good". Not so! It was really starting to take its toll on my health physically and mentally.
So 26 days ago my Girl friend and I were at the drug store getting a few things and she said "lets take our blood pressure"so we did. Now I have had high blood pressure in the past when I had my last check up 3 years ago (I know too long ago). It was high and the doctor did all the normal test to find why its so high - blood tests, heart check and ultra sound, and of course I lied to her when she asked me how much I drink per week I think I said 4 beers per week or something ridiculous like that. So they found no real 'reason' why it was high, I knew it was the drinking but as an addict I am going to protect my addition. So back at the drug store my test was 150/95. High for me (its been 170/110 at the doctors office once - I have been on blood pressure medication here and there). I am not sure why but this was the little push or 'inception' I needed to kick off my sobriety. Because 2 weeks before this I did cut back on he drinking, not having any drinks during the week just my usual binges on the weekends. I have tried to stop/cut back in the past with very little success a week sober here and there.This time was different the next day I woke up and said to myself 'I am quitting drinking', 'I don't want to feel like this any more'. Something was VERY different this time it wasn't me fighting with myself and saying 'Don't have a drink!'.. Don't have that drink! This time it was I am sick of feeling and looking like sh*t all the time, It was more of 'I don't want a drink!' attitude. So I bought some candy and chocolate just to curb the sugar addiction from the drinking, I usually drank sprits with pop so yah a lot of calories getting cut out.
The first week I had mild cravings but not even close enough to actually have a drink. The thought of having a drink really disgusted me in every way.So the next weekend and the weekend after that I was around situations where people were drinking and I didn't even have much of a craving at all. And now as I am righting this I have no cravings at all. I even have some liquor and beer in the liquor cabinet and the last thing I would want to do is have a drink, past attempts to quit I could never do that, I would just drink what ever is there.
So how do I feel? After about 5 days I felt such a calmness over my body - almost like when I was drinking my body was 'buzzing' or something like that hard to explain. But now such a calmness and I am not achy and no random pains. I am not sweating as much and especially not at night. I LOOK so much better, My skin in my face has not looked this clear and youth full in a long time. My eyes look clear and lively and I have lost some weight in my face. I have lost around 5 pounds since I stopped, My belly is also shrinking a little bit I can tell I have a fatty liver and vicarious fat. My blood pressure today is down to 136/82 and seems to be falling daily. My mind is so much clearer. Before I was depressed, had a quick temper and agitated quickly. Now not much at all. I can concentrate my anxiety has gone way down something I didn't even really notice all that much before I stopped drinking. I can sleep! and most of all I can start to see happiness and good in the world. It doesn't always seem like such a dark place that I have seen it as for the past while in my life.
So many wasted years and time wasted being drunk and being hung over. You miss out on a lot treating yourself like a trash bin. I didn't see this when I was drinking,All I saw was that night when I could get drunk and then not worry about tomorrow. But tomorrow always comes and its another day wasted another opportunity wasted, to do something maybe you loved to do but its been too long and you have forgotten. I know I have not been sober that long but for the short time I have been my insight and my mind has opened up to what I have been doing to myself, what drinking really is all about. How it can put your life on hiatus, and make you forget how good life was before you started drinking.
Thanx for reading my post. I hope any of you reading this maybe can consider taking the lighter path of life as I have now chosen, the other path is very dark and lonely.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days - Getting pretty close to the one month mark!

I'm 26 and can relate to a lot of what your going thru. Also a binge drinker... I'm either drinking, or dealing with a hangover, or trying to get clean. Clean up my act for a bit, start working out consistently and eating right then I slip back into a binge type of cycle and start treating my body like garbage again...
Major social anxiety, depression and regret are the byproducts. It is an exhausting cycle, not a good way to live.

Glad to hear the fog has lifted and your seeing things in a new light! Thanks for sharing : )
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

25 days yay!!!! Booooom!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your insightful post, a lot of it rings true of me. I lost my job 3 years ago through drinking and have been a daily drinker every since, with periods of abstinence (not long). Im on day 6 sober and already my skin looks clearer and the bloat to my face is slowly going. Youre doing brilliantly, keep at it, I would get rid of the drink though, just in case you have a difficult day in the future

Thanks for sharing

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and big congrats on 15 days xxxx
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Randummy

So glad to hear about your improved health! Today is my third day sober and I've been to AA meetings each day. I'm still very sweaty and my skin is still bad but my mental health has improved already. I didn't realise how far into the drink I had fallen. Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Drazz..

Thanks, and welcome to SR.

What an accurate description leading to your "moment of clarity"
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Drazztic - and congrats on your sober time

D
Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on 25 days sober!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

25 days is wonderful drazztic. You sound motivated and determined. You can do this - and we're glad to have you join us. It helps so much to have others to talk things over with - those who really understand.