Notices

Drinks and Hobbies

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinks and Hobbies

Hello all,
My mum is currently in Detox at the moment. I want to get her a selection of drinks for when she gets home, non-alcoholic obviously. I was wondering if you could give me any suggestions? Also any hobbies I could try to get her involved in.
Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by JCLD View Post
Also any hobbies I could try to get her involved in.
Staying busy is great. It might keep her distracted from the urge to drink. But a hobby doesn't ensure sobriety. Coming out of detox, she should get involved with her recovery. But it's not something you can make her do.

Wishing you and your mom well.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

how about a puzzle.
it keeps your brain occupied
Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I filled my fridge up with brewed ginger beer, soda water, diet drinks. I also got a tea pot (see avatar) and have branched out with herbal teas as well as my usual. I found establishing a routine around soft drinks, rather than what I drank, helped me relax.
If you have time, you might want to start taking walks with your mother, especially in the evening when temptation grows strong. The mild exercise, combined with the non-stop talk which normally happens, would be fantastic therapy for her.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I notice a ton of people knit in the AA meetings I attend. It seems like a good hobby to me. However, can't say I've tried it!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome JCLD, it's lovely that you want to support your mum.

Doggone's advice is spot-on, her sobriety journey is only just beginning when she gets out of detox and it's a big commitment.

Hobbies will help in some way to take up time otherwise spent drinking or thinking about it, but if it was that simple I'd be knitting a scarf right now rather than participating in the wider SR community!

The serious point here being the help and support of fellow alcoholics is invaluable, particularly in the early days be it from AA, SR or other resources.

Hopefully, her detox will be more than just a 'wash & brush-up' and she'll be introduced to post detox support to continue to stay sober. Loads of information on here too, and please don't forget to look after yourself and get some support too.

Finally, and I speak as someone very recently sober, trying different fruit juices over ice topped up with sparkling water is hitting the spot for me right now.

Much love to you and your mum x