Notices

Day 4, Still Shaking... When did the tremors stop for you?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4, Still Shaking... When did the tremors stop for you?

So I'm on day 4 without a drink or a cigarette. I've noticed that I still have shakes in my hands. It's very annoying. Now note that I haven't really had any other symptoms (maybe some sweating, but that's because I've had a fever and bronchitis (which prompted me to quit smoking and drinking)
However, I'm still shaking. I drink coffee in the morning and this makes the shaking very visible and annoying. Before I became and alcoholic coffee didn't do this to me. Also I notice that I'm shaky right before a meal, obviously this has something to do with blood sugar, BUT before I was an alcoholic I never was shaky before a meal. I'm only on day 4 I know, but my question is how long did it take for the tremors to go away, go away during caffeine intake, go away before a meal?

Thanks!

-Serper
Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Many of us react differently when sobering up.
My strong suggestion is to seek medical advise as this can be a very serious situation.

BE WELL
Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi and welcome. Many of us react differently when sobering up.
My strong suggestion is to seek medical advise as this can be a very serious situation.

BE WELL

Note to all users that read this thread. Please do not tell me to seek medical advice. I am a doctor (soon anyway). There is nothing that one of my colleagues can tell me that I already don't know. I'm simply asking your personal experience with the shaking issues after becoming sober.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was shaking pretty badly for three days, on the fourth it started to subside. Now working on Day 7 my hands are mostly steady, at least for an old guy.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Discovery14 View Post
I was shaking pretty badly for three days, on the fourth it started to subside. Now working on Day 7 my hands are mostly steady, at least for an old guy.

Thanks for your input! Congrats on Day 7 I look forward to it! My hands aren't too bad right now as my morning coffee is starting to wear off!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was shaking about 4 days, but I had many other awful symptoms, Id cut out all caffeine if I were you, as you know if youre soon to be a dr that will only make the shakes worse.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,
I shook badly for about the first 3 days, then it started subsiding. By day 6 it was almost gone and by day 10 there was no sign of it at all.
I haven't had coffee for about 5 years now (don't like the taste ironically!)

Good luck in your recovery,

Bruce.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
I was shaking about 4 days, but I had many other awful symptoms, Id cut out all caffeine if I were you, as you know if youre soon to be a dr that will only make the shakes worse.
Yeah I know that the caffeine exacerbates the shaking...(but I love it!--the caffeine not the shaking lol) luckily that is my only symptom. I was drinking 10-12 beers a night for years, but I tapered down over the course of two weeks and then I've been taking a benzodiazepine before bed each day that I've been sober and I experienced almost no withdrawal except for the shaking, which is only mildly annoying.

-Serper
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drink de caff lol!! Yes, tapering works best for a lot of people, I suppose it depends, I tried that but after the first few that all went out of the window so I had to just cut it out with some mild sedatives....glad youve got no more symptoms, shakes should go pretty soon
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My hands shook for a couple of weeks off and on after I quit the last time.

It is totally gone now--just got less and less and eventually faded away all together.

So that fine surgery technique should still be an option--well done on quitting drinking and nearly finishing medical qualifications, by the way Serper
Old 03-13-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

Roughly a week for me before I settled down a bit ... I do think drinking decaf temporarily would help ... Having said that, I now drink fully leaded coffee with no problems.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone is different and your mileage may vary, but I've learned it's common for withdrawal symptoms to get worse the more times you relapse.

I slipped down the rabbit hole into alcoholic drinking in my early 40s. The first few times I detoxed, I experienced no neurological symptoms whatsoever.

After a couple more years of cycling between periods of heavy drinking and abstinence, I began to experience shaking much as you and others describe -- it would be noticeable for 3-4 days after sobering up and would go away completely within a week or so.

I knew it was time to quit drinking then, but sadly, I didn't. I continued to cycle between weeks of heavy drinking followed by short periods of abstinence for 7 more years. Each time I sobered up, my withdrawal symptoms, including tremor, worsened by leaps and bounds.

I finally sobered up for good about a year ago (3/16/13). It was 3 months before the tremors even began to subside, and even now they are still noticeable if I'm agitated.

I recognize that my experience is pretty far out on the bell curve, but perhaps it's worthwhile to share it so people don't think there's some kind of automatic rule that tremors will always go away within a week.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Everyone is different and your mileage may vary, but I've learned it's common for withdrawal symptoms to get worse the more times you relapse.

I slipped down the rabbit hole into alcoholic drinking in my early 40s. The first few times I detoxed, I experienced no neurological symptoms whatsoever.

After a couple more years of cycling between periods of heavy drinking and abstinence, I began to experience shaking much as you and others describe -- it would be noticeable for 3-4 days after sobering up and would go away completely within a week or so.

I knew it was time to quit drinking then, but sadly, I didn't. I continued to cycle between weeks of heavy drinking followed by short periods of abstinence for 7 more years. Each time I sobered up, my withdrawal symptoms, including tremor, worsened by leaps and bounds.

I finally sobered up for good about a year ago (3/16/13). It was 3 months before the tremors even began to subside, and even now they are still noticeable if I'm agitated.

I recognize that my experience is pretty far out on the bell curve, but perhaps it's worthwhile to share it so people don't think there's some kind of automatic rule that tremors will always go away within a week.

Wow good to know... thanks for your post! and congrats on the upcoming one year mark!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I shook initially due to the withdrawal but then due to anxiety. I'm on anxiety meds now which is helping with the shaking.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Roughly a week for me before I settled down a bit ... I do think drinking decaf temporarily would help ... Having said that, I now drink fully leaded coffee with no problems.
Good, I look forward to the day I can do that as well..

-Serper
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
totfit

Guess you probably know this also, but eating a well balanced diet with protein and a variety of complex carbs will help get you leveled out quickly. B Vitamin supplements will certainly not hurt either. My blood sugar level sensitivity was acute for about a week after stopping drinking, but a good diet helps. I too love coffee in spite of it exacerbating the symptoms at times. I just made sure I wasn't drinking coffee and not eating properly.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The very experienced folks at the place I went to detox allowed smoking but did not allow caffeine or sugar. I was also prescribed Ativan.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too experienced kindling - the worsening of withdrawal symptoms on each subsequent detox. My last detox I shook like hell for 3 days, it gradually got better and it was gone by day 10. Any startling noise set me off for a bit.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I had no shakes.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper View Post
Note to all users that read this thread. Please do not tell me to seek medical advice. I am a doctor (soon anyway). There is nothing that one of my colleagues can tell me that I already don't know. I'm simply asking your personal experience with the shaking issues after becoming sober.
Well that's your choice. My and others best thinking got us here for the long haul and that is a standard safe recommendation.
If you continue to need questions please continue to ask as there are many here with many years of sobriety and experience willing to help.

BE WELL