Notices

Musings on St. Patrick's Day

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Musings on St. Patrick's Day

I've noticed people starting posts about drinking or not drinking on St. Patrick's day and thought people might want to share what they are doing for St. Patrick's day to not drink. Or thoughts they have about drinking on St. Patrick's day.

Before my drinking morphed into alcoholic drinking I used to go out for a few drinks with friends. When my drinking progressed I stopped going out for drinks on the day. I moderated my drinking on St. Patricks day, just like I was able to moderate my drinking on all the big drinking holidays...new years, super bowl Sunday, Labor Day, etc. (yes, mostly American holidays but fill in the blank for Other countries). Did this show or prove I was not alcoholic? No. On the contrary. It showed I was an alcoholic. I moderated to prove to myself that I wasn't like "those" drinkers. The stumbling and weaving and slurring, glassy eyed, falling down, puking drunks. Those people who couldnt handle their liquor. The amateur drinkers. What did it matter that I drank like "them" every other day of the week? I was different. I could refrain on drinking holidays. I was in control. In the end, who was worse? the people who drink to excess a few days of the year? Or me, drinking to excess every night of the week for the remainder and looking down my nose at the others?

This year I am not drinking. I am not going anywhere that there will be drinking. This will be my second sober St. Pat's day in a row. I am getting away from my house this year and may park myself and my kids at my parent's house for the day (Sunday the 16th) and eat corned beef and cabbage and visit. I live at the tail end of a St. Pat's day parade route which will be the 16th this year. Have lived here for 12 years now. Other years I have stayed to guard my house from the drunken mayhem. The people urinating on my house, next to my house. in my yard. throwing trash all over my lawn and breaking branches off my trees. I've watched people falling down drunk on the sidewalk. Walking into light posts as they try crossing the street. Weaving and stumbling. Yelling and fighting. It's all so pretty, isn't it? I am tired of being drunk. Tired of being a drunk. Tired of watching the drunks. I choose to stay sober. It is a far better life. So, I am getting away from it this year. What about you? Join me sober.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dreamed a dream by the old canal...but it was a sober dream this time
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last few years of st pat's i had blackouts. Its going to be nice to drive my friends if they want it, have a few cokes, then leave and enjoy the afternoon happy, sober and wEll rested!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

What a good idea for a thread Ruby

Here in the UK i'll be going to work , but if i had it off i'd go down the park and feed the ducks . Then i'd make some tasty food at home , watch some DVD's , Change the sheets on the bed so it's all clean , have a bath , then dive into bed all snuggly and nice , maybe read a book or watch something funny

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

St Patricks Day was always about booze for me.

These days, if I do anything, I'll sit back and play this song...

to me the real meaning of St Pats day lies not in Guinness, but in the struggle and sacrifice of the Irish migrations of the 19th century which gave our ancestors, and hence a lot of us, new lives in new countries...

but still always with that link back to the Oul' Country

D
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I think I shall continue my tradition of watching the Leprechaun movies sans alcohol.

It's cheesy I know but was something that started way back when life was better so I'd like those good memories.

It keeps me away from the drunk people as well as the liquor.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Irish in Boston area, need to hide under a rock! Thankfully scheduled to work, plus I bought a bunch of fun goofy things at the party store for my kids. My sons birthday is the 18th and it will be the first time I won't be drinking wine at a birthday party.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the music link Dee. In these days of trans continental and ocean flights we lose perspective at what a huge sacrifice and risk our migratory ancestors took when leaving home.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to go to mass when I was younger, every St Patrick's day, we'd pin a bunch of shamrocks to our jackets and be up early in the morning, everyone has the day off work/school as it's a national holiday, then after mass we'd all go to the bar, my sister and I would then go home and just have a day off school, whereas my other relatives would stay out to all hours.

When I got older, I followed the pattern, I stopped going to mass, forgot what it was supposed to be all about, and started to worship the god of Guinness!!

The meaning of it all, became so easily lost!!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm Welsh, but living in Ireland for the past 15 years. As you can imagine, St Patrick (Who was also Welsh incidentally)'s Day is huge here and drinking is a BIG part of it. (wetting the shamrock is the local term)
I've been living just one day at a time recently and haven't really thought that far ahead.
As Mecanix said, it's a great idea for a thread Ruby. Fore warned is to be fore armed etc.
I shall have to think. thanks Ruby
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was another one of the reasons I could go all out,, Christmas being another , Halloween , New Years , christenings , weddings and not forgetting funerals.
As purple knight already said ,, the real meaning or point of it all kind of dissolved and booze took centre stage.
This year ill spend it with my 2 young kids & wife. Dress them up in green & enjoy the time off really.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This one's for you Dee!!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My husband got his first DWI after drinking a few green beers on St. Pats day. I have hated it every since. In college I did the whole pub crawl on St. Pats day, what a drunken mess. While I am not addicted to alcohol, I was definitely quite the social drinker in college! I look back and cannot believe it.

Good Luck to everyone!