Notices

It is so hard to stop

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is so hard to stop

Guys, I'm really having trouble stopping the first day. Any advice on how to do this would be So appreciated.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

When it got right down to it I had to make sure there was no alcohol is my house and make sure I didn't walk out the front door to get more, romando.

I had no face to face support. I'm not sure what your situation is.

I stayed on SR a lot - you can read posts, ask for help, help other people, go into chat, visit the arcade.

Once you get that first day down I think it gets easier

D
Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know this is simple but.......you just can't put one up to your lips. It's really hard but you can do it.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starting is always difficult. But just imagine what you could achieve if you did stop. If you start now, imagine where you could be in the future? And to think, it will all start from when you said at this point, its time to stop.

Come on here, speak to people and get the support you need! Just do your best to start as soon as possible, because the sooner you start the sooner you can benefit! Good luck, I know you can do it!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When it got right down to it I had to make sure there was no alcohol is my house and make sure I didn't walk out the front door to get more, romando.

I had no face to face support. I'm not sure what your situation is.

I stayed on SR a lot - you can read posts, ask for help, help other people, go into chat, visit the arcade.

Once you get that first day down I think it gets easier

D
+1

This was me. Get every last drop out of the house and hide your keys so you don't leave. Reading here is a GREAT way to stay motivated. Post and read. Find anything you can to distract yourself.

We're here for you!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can though you might not sleep much, you will feel more confident about the next hurdle!
The future may look bleak even impossible, but oh so soon it will be normal.
Remember it can be done and life will be better.
Keep planning .
John.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I not only made sure the alcohol was out of my house but I also tossed all of my wine glasses as well as bottle openers and anything remotely related to my drinking. In early sobriety I also made a point of throwing my jammies on early so I wouldn't be in "go" mode to head out the door. I also did a ton of reading and went to bed early for many nights just because I wanted the day to be over. For me I had to lay low and stay inside for quite some time until I could trust myself. At that point I did little trips like to the grocery store or to visit my parents or the library. Nothing big. Baby steps. Lots of little success equals big success!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep yourself busy with things that aren't connected in any way with drinking. You'll just have to muscle thru the first day but it's so worth it. Come here a lot (I did) and post and read. The support here is great! Take advantage of it. You can do this.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I drank bear urine and took up caber tossing.

Not really. Keeping busy was always the key to getting through the rough spots - which are all in the beginning.

You can do this.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I first realized that alcohol had a grip on me and I needed to sober up, I gave my bank/credit cards to my girlfriend to keep so I couldn't buy any booze. Obviously not a long-term solution, but it was a quick-fix for the first few days of detoxing/withdrawal.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the advice. Are there any tips for motivation? I know this sounds bad, but I don't see a point sometimes.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember not being motivated either. I lost my marriage and my house. Wasn't motivated. Then I wrapped myself and my car around a tree. I still wasn't motivated. I wound up in the intensive care unit at the hospital a year or so later with yet another head injury...this was a good one even requiring plastic surgery. While much healed, I still have permanent brain damage. I am now motivated.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the basic motivation is you don't like your life, who you are, or what drinking is doing to you.

If you're still ambivalent on that, it makes it harder.

I looked at it this way - I spent years drinking...I committed to spending at least 3 months sober.

If you can't do that, or if you're finding trouble finding that commitment or motivation to start, then maybe you have to accept you simply can't do this on your own romando?

perhaps some face to face support like AA will help?

D
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

+1 to what Dee said.

My son was my major motivation. Other than that I saw how my drinking and my behavior were effecting my mom and dad. They were nervous wrecks. I was completely destroying everyone around me and didn't really care. Don't know what made me realize it but after 15 years of drinking I found it in myself to stop making everyone's life a living hell. AA never worked for me but I do say give it a try as it might be just what you need. Pray for ya.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay with SR and read the damaging affects of alcohol. It's hard but so worth it.

All the best CaiHong