Notices

New Guy

Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face New Guy

Hello everyone, I am 27 from Michigan. I have decided to turn to online support because groups like AA just aren't my thing. I have been drinking to the point of unconsciousness since since late middle school. Although I have had some sobriety in between it has progressively gotten a lot worse. I landed the best paying job I've ever had in my life, stuck it out for about 2 years, then quit because I could barely function let alone be a manager with how hung over I was. It has affected my health to the point where I feel like I cannot breathe the next day, my chest/head/face and arms get tingly and numb. I lost my girlfriend of 3 years a few months after I quit my job because I promised to stop drinking but didn't and will most likely lose my house now.

The list of crap alcohol has caused in my life goes on and on, but I'm sure you all get the picture. Anyway, I'm going on day 3 sober and just feel like I need to hear from others who have already been through this sort of thing to help me stay strong.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Congratulations on your decision to put that bottle away.

What's your plan for sober living?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome to Sober Recovery. Congratulations on your decision to put that bottle away.

What's your plan for sober living?
I'm not so sure at the moment. I just know I really want to stop feeling like I'm going to die and stop ruining my life. My first priority is to find a decent job and spend more time with family.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, CAH!

A lot of us here have been through this, and we'll all tell you to stick with it because you're worth it.

Read and post all over this website--it helps!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, cah. You will find much support here. How are you feeling? Are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Cah 87 xxxx
Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great to have you onboard!! Welcome!!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome cah87, I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles, but you have arrived at the right place. Well done on the sober time so far buddy
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome cah, youve done the right thing coming here, lots of like minded people who can help you and support you. Youre not alone, Im 5 days sober, and yes its hard, but so worth it. We cant give medical advice on here, but if your symptoms worsen make sure you ring your dr x
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi there
Welcome - sounds like a great time to change your life- you deserve better
Stick around - sign into the 24 hour club too.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the welcoming, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, cah. You will find much support here. How are you feeling? Are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms?
Yes I am for sure, all I want to do is stay in bed. Playing video games helps pass the time but even doing that makes me want to drink as that's what I used to do.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cah87 View Post
Thank you everyone for the welcoming, I appreciate it.

Yes I am for sure, all I want to do is stay in bed. Playing video games helps pass the time but even doing that makes me want to drink as that's what I used to do.
You may want to change things up a bit once you are feeling better to avoid those triggering factors. If the withdrawal feels like it is becoming too much, a visit to your doctor might be a good idea.

Are you staying hydrated and eating?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi CAH,
I live in Michigan too and I know the gray days don't help! I have been in your shoes but believe me being sober is so much better! I am going on four months and finally have my sense of humor back! I avoided triggers by trying to replace them with reading and drawing. It is tough for sure. I have some good reads if you are interested! Warrior of the light, The scariest places, and I love the book Daring Greatly by Brene' Brown. That and music too. If you can get out for some air when it is sunny that helps too. I love to re-decorate so that drives my family crazy but helps me create some fun times for myself too! I do see a counselor and do go to AA once a week as well, but reading and writing in a journal helps too. I get crabby and irritated easy but try to soften my delivery a little, I am hoping for a job at a vet clinic as a vet tech, good people and puppies help too! Don't beat yourself up keep trying, you can do it, I have faith in you, and don't hesitate to come here and chat, there is a lot of love here!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you cah. It's good you're admitting what alcohol is doing to your life. I wish I had at 27. I saw the danger signs but never did anything to help myself. Be proud for reaching out and taking charge - you can do this.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi cah. We are almost the same age

Welcome
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR cah

D