Notices

Expecting the unexpected

Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Expecting the unexpected

It's day 2 for me no cravings, and if I'm in withdrawal I can't tell. It's this that worries me a bit. I've been reading about not going cold turkey alone at home because if the side effects that can happen. So far all I've had is a headache that seems to be there more than usual. I've had another night of restful sleep which before was something I could not accomplish unless I finally drank one too many.
Has anyone else had an experience like this where things don't appear to be so bad? Is my alcoholic brain just setting me up for failure?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2. I was also lucky and didn't experience any classic withdrawal symptoms. The fact that you are getting sleep may be playing a role in the lack of effects you are feeling. Count yourself lucky.

Be well
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We cant give medical advice, all I can tell you is that 6 hours after I stopped drinking I couldnt hold a glass I shook so much, extreme sweating, anxiety, insomnia....you dont have those things, so thats a good thing
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Friend-

Expectation is the greatest impediment to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, you rob yourself of today. And today will always be the most important day to remain clean and sober. Thus, do yourself a favor, take a deep breath, a hot bath, and try to relax.

You'll be fine.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

I don't think your being set up. Your into day 2 with a headache. Your sleeping well. I think your good to go. Consulting with a doctor will give you a medical opinion, if that is what you need to comfort you then by all means consult with a doctor.

Wanting to drink is likely to re-visit you eventually. What action will you take when and if you have such desires/wants/cravings/etc?

Congrats on quitting!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi chaos34 - for me Day 2 was one of the easiest days. Day 1 was a usual hung over day but Day 2 was kind of a "high" that boosted me right through the day because I was so pumped up that I was taking action. Like you I was fortunate to experience such minor withdrawal symptoms that they were nothing compared to what some people here report.

All of that led me to believe this was going to be a breeze, but if your experience will be anything like mine you can expect that over time you will hit difficult spots, especially as you discover your trigger points that will lead to as RobbyRobot says in his post above mine: desires/wants/cravings.

The nasty side effects and memories of alcohol abuse are in themselves a strong deterrent in the early stages, but as those begin to fade and you settle into your new life of sobriety you may find your will power strongly challenged when you start to question if total abstinence is maybe too radical or harsh for your own situation. It is in those times that I find my own will power alone isn't enough and when I need to draw on my understanding of a higher power along with the support of the SR community - at least that is my chosen program that is working for me.

Best of wishes to you as we all journey along this path together even though we are at different stages along the way.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

Wanting to drink is likely to re-visit you eventually. What action will you take when and if you have such desires/wants/cravings/etc?
My plan was to sit still and read. Journal and re-read what I've written in my dark days that have less me here. I've done this a couple of times already and I was so disappointed in myself that the desire to drink left me. I have also checked out where the local AA mtgs are as I just moved here 3 months ago. Other than that I haven't thought of anything else. I am open to any/all suggestions. My craving would normally come at night.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chaos, I didn't go through anything horrific like some others have, either, but I did taper ever so slightly to a mere one bottle of wine a night for the week before I quit. I think we are just really lucky or something.

The first day, the cravings were sort of intense right after work and I had to really focus myself in order to not stop by and pick up wine. And I had headaches, but I just worked through them, then I climbed in bed and went to sleep. Right now, day 3, I'm still tired and out of sorts, but it's manageable.

Best to you,
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wow, you dodged a bullet! My first three days were hell and I never want to go through that again. I've been lucky that I haven't had many cravings yet and the couple I have had, I've come here and everyone has been so supportive.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

withdrawal depends on so many variables......
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're lucky if you're not feeling the ill effects of withdrawal. Mine were always awful. Keep in mind, however, that tomorrow might bring changes in your reaction to withdrawing. Be prepared to get medical help if things get worse.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chaos34 View Post
I am open to any/all suggestions. My craving would normally come at night.
Over time you will discover that your strongest cravings are born out of stress, not desire. Thus, the phrase...."i need a drink." And stress, is like the wind. Some days it'll come out of nowhere, and with intensity. This is why we must constantly focus not only on today, and today only, but we must also surround ourselves with people that are likely to improve us and not pull us down. Thus, be very, careful, what you say to yourself. Especially the things you say to yourself out loud.

Finally, don't surround yourself with yourself. For isolation leads to depression. Go to an AA meeting. Join a volleyball league. Volunteer at your local church. Teach an inner city kid how to read. Learn a second language. The ideas are endless if you really think about it.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It depends on how much you drank and the frequency I guess. I was a binge drinker so no physical withdrawal symptoms. The mental stuff is where I have to work at it. But most days I am completely craving free and at peace. Keep going forward, it is the best gift you can ever give yourself.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on day two. So glad it wasn't too horrible xxxx
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Over time you will discover that your strongest cravings are born out of stress, not desire. Thus, the phrase...."i need a drink." And stress, is like the wind. Some days it'll come out of nowhere, and with intensity. This is why we must constantly focus not only on today, and today only, but we must also surround ourselves with people that are likely to improve us and not pull us down. Thus, be very, careful, what you say to yourself. Especially the things you say to yourself out loud.

Finally, don't surround yourself with yourself. For isolation leads to depression. Go to an AA meeting. Join a volleyball league. Volunteer at your local church. Teach an inner city kid how to read. Learn a second language. The ideas are endless if you really think about it.
A wave of fear just hit with reading this. I hadn't taken the time to truly think this out. While reading this I do realize that when I'm frustrated or mad, which is quite often lately, I drink. I am a functioning alcoholic.
I feel as though if I don't give my everything today to stay sober then my sobriety is in jeopardy. I've already lost nearly everything short of my life, son and car. My AH I can do without. I cannot believe that my thinking has been so short sighted.
I do get out to the library and I have been trying to put myself "out there" so that I'm not so alone.
The New thing for me today I'm noticing is that I've been crying a lot. Very emotional but not angry. Not sure if the tears are of regret, feeling like such a dumb*** or what. That's what I get for thinking too far ahead.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Chaos,

You have everything you need, inside you right now, to stay sober right now. There is nothing to really fear. Relax. Some people like drama. Some like making things bigger than what they already are when quitting. You'll get plenty of advice from plenty of people. That's good, but always remember not everything everybody says is going to apply to you like it applied to them.

Stress is a challenge. Having said that, stress can ALWAYS be dealt with in many ways which will keep you sober. It is untrue that stress always leads back to drinking. It can, of course. But it takes more than just stress, imo.

What always leads back to drinking is simply enough actually drinking itself. Everything else is a maybe. Don't believe your trapped and doomed that if you make some wrong moves you must drink. That is never true. We can always say no to that first drink.

Courage, Chaos.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chaos34 View Post
A wave of fear just hit with reading this. I hadn't taken the time to truly think this out. While reading this I do realize that when I'm frustrated or mad, which is quite often lately, I drink. I am a functioning alcoholic.
I feel as though if I don't give my everything today to stay sober then my sobriety is in jeopardy. I've already lost nearly everything short of my life, son and car. My AH I can do without. I cannot believe that my thinking has been so short sighted.
I do get out to the library and I have been trying to put myself "out there" so that I'm not so alone.
The New thing for me today I'm noticing is that I've been crying a lot. Very emotional but not angry. Not sure if the tears are of regret, feeling like such a dumb*** or what. That's what I get for thinking too far ahead.
Friend-

Crying is actually very healthy. Each tear cleanses the soul. Did you know that? Thus, go ahead have a good wail. Let it all out! I highly recommend it.

You'll feel better

As for your sobriety, once again, just take a deep breath, draw yourself a hot bath and just breath. Nice and slow. The day is halfway over. You got this!