Notices

90 days and anxiety

Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 days and anxiety

How do you make it past 90 days? I’m filled with so much anxiety. Today I'm at 79 days. This is the 3rd time this year I've made it right around the 90 day mark. I don't understand why I keep relapsing around this phase of sobriety. For some reason I don’t know how to enter this stage. I've learned as many tools as I can, but I just can't seem to fly on my own. I suppose maintaining seems like such an overwhelming concept and it’s the first time I'm allowing myself to have the conversation about “forever.” I know I’m not supposed to think that way, one day at a time and all. However, isn't "forever" really what maintaining is about. :/ Lately, I’ve been avoiding recovery bc I’m not sure what to do now. I’m about to sabotage it all once again. Why can’t I seem to transition into this stage?
Did anyone else have anxiety when they reached the 90day mark and if so how did you manage? Welcoming any tips and advice, please
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dude, I just hit 7 days today and I am jonesing pretty hard right now! 79 Days would be a miracle for me. I have been drinking 12 to 18 beers for the last 2 years straight everyday, without a single day off. You have come so far, why stop?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MythicPhoenix,

Today is my 90th day.
It is impossible to quit tomorrow today. I am sober right now and I can make it thru sober for the next hour.......there is no forever, cause it does not come all at once....The only thing I can do to not drink tomorrow is not drink today....
Personally, I made it by going to lots of AA meetings and remembering that all of my best decisions, efforts, immense time...all led back to the bottle.
I like being in a room full of people who are trying to remain on this side of life.

GreenBear

PS Nice work on 79 and at least 18 hours....keep going mate
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 79 days MP (and congrats to you on 90 GreenBear)

I found it useful to think of forever as a lot of individual days string together.

If forever is making you freak out just remember all any of us can do, all anyone needs to do, is stay sober today.

Is the anxiety a new thing or did you have anxiety before you quit drinking MP?

D
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm 68 days here. Second longest I've ever done. My anxiety is getting worse. Terrible work situation.
I actually think I have got major depression. The longer I'm sober the more depressed I feel.
I thought I'd be feeling great by now but I'm not sleeping and sick feeling when I wake every morning. During the day my emotions can turn on a six pence.

The only consolation is that the scale of my addiction has been revealed to me.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
I'm 68 days here. Second longest I've ever done. My anxiety is getting worse. Terrible work situation. I actually think I have got major depression. The longer I'm sober the more depressed I feel. I thought I'd be feeling great by now but I'm not sleeping and sick feeling when I wake every morning. During the day my emotions can turn on a six pence. The only consolation is that the scale of my addiction has been revealed to me.
Hi Finnie, sorry you're feeling so low. Terrible work situations can trigger anxiety and that's before alcohol recovery is in the mix..Is the work situation likely to resolve/go away? Can you take a break? How were you sleeping before? Maybe going to see your GP would be a good idea. You can talk it through and maybe get signed off for a week or so to regroup a bit. Wishing you well x
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend anyone who thinks they may be depressed to see their Dr., Finnie.
Noone should have to 'put up' with depression.

D
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee: I do have trouble with anxiety, but I also recently went through a tough family situation that brought up a lot of past issues. I'm sure that's amplifying the anxiousness.
I love the idea of forever being days strung together. That definitely is a great way of looking at it. It allows me the ability to appreciate the bigger picture of what I'm trying to accomplish without feeling so overwhelmed. Thank you for that

Finnie: Thanks for sharing. You made feel less alone. Everyone seems so happy when they reach this point and I felt so out of place. However, 68 days is amazing and you should be celebrating that! I'm sorry for the work conditions. I've been in some pretty yucky ones myself. I hope it finds a way to right itself. You deserve some peace. Keep up the good work. *hugs
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

MythicPhoenix, 79 days is so FANTASTIC, congratulations. In this book I'm reading Mastery, the author explains that when we start out on an endeavor we put our heart and soul into and make good progress and then we reach a plateau and don't seem to be making much headway and can possibly get discouraged and even give up. He talks about how important it is to keep doing what is necessary to achieve the desired results. You are aware that you have had trouble making it past 90 days so perhaps making it a goal to do that might be an idea that helps. Just keep telling yourself all ya need is 11 more days and count down each day. Rootin for ya.