Relapsed?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed?

He's been sober for 18 months now and has been doing great. We got back in touch and it was cautious but nice.

However, he lost all contact 2 weeks ago after a somewhat steady communication, again leaving me hanging there. Concerned that he might have relapsed but don't want to assume anything.

Is it normal for a recovering addict to suddenly not responding to any sort of contact without any warning signs other than having a relapse?

Have any of you experienced this and what did you do to help out? If he indeed relapsed, what could have happened during these 2 weeks.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It could be anything and it's up to you to decide of you want to live a life of second guessing someone who still exhibits addiction traits whether he is using or not.

My son used to lie to people about his clean time. I remember him calling an old girlfriend once and telling her he had 5 months clean when, in reality, he didn't have 5 minutes. I cringed when I heard that and wanted to warn her...and did when she asked me about why he seemed unchanged if he was clean.

He may be using, he may have just lost interest in being with you...and so very sorry if that sounds harsh because it may hurt but it may be a reason.

It might be a good idea to keep some time and space between you unless you want to get drawn back into the "is he using...has he relapsed?" daily mindset.

Life is short, don't waste any of it chasing that which doesn't want to get caught.

Hugs
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. Who knows what happened. As an addict, I can only guess. Blessings to you.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does it really matter? Do you want this in your life? I am not trying to be harsh, just wanting to point out that a relationship with a person who just falls off the radar for two weeks w/no warning is not stability for you, no matter what the reason is.

I am sorry you are dealing with this.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

man you gotta get up early to beat HOPEFUL to the punch!
take addiction/recovery out of it...look at the behavior on it's own...without being tempered or somehow "justified" is it at ALL acceptable to you for him to just shut down for over two weeks?

now certainly he can DO whatever he wants...this isn't about whether he has good reasons, bad reasons, no reasons. it's about how it affects YOU.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL...I was out sick yesterday, playing catch up today!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You two make a dam good tag team
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well we don't have ALL day to wait for you Hawkeye!!! we gotta keep em busy til you get here! LOL
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL...no twiddling our thumbs here Hawkeye! Anvil and I are with it today!

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
You two make a dam good tag team