Notices

New at this

Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New at this

Hi my name is Miranda. I have been drinking everyday for the past 10 years. I have tried to quit several times, but with no luck so far. I have been really trying harder this week and drinking every other day. I am 39, have 3 wonderful kids and I need to do this for them. I am tired of the anxiety and feeling awful every morning. I think my addiction started when I just wanted to relax after my kids were in bed and it progressed from there. I am ready to do this. I just didn't know where to start.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Sorry no one responded sooner. This is a good place to start. Consider some reading about addiction and some ways to get and stay sober. Consider AA or Rational Recovery or Mindfulness. Find what works for you. I'm going the mindfulness route, myself. Rational Recovery is really about mindfulness in it's own way, as well.

The first thing is to withdraw and detox. Depending how much you have been drinking, this can be medically challenging in the first five days. Consider talking to a doctor about it.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Mulyana xxxxx
Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! You found a great place with great people in SR!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Miranda.

I'm 39 and a mom and I started my journey to sobriety six weeks ago by promising to stay sober for 24 hours. Deeker runs a nice thread for those of us taking it 24 hours at a time.

You will find wonderful support on this site. Read, post, and work through your issues with us.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome! Take things one day at a time and you can do it!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Probably a good idea to taper down a bit. Glad to hear you can skip every other day. Try skipping multiple days and see how you feel. Pick a day in the future that seems agreeable to you and just stop on that day. Just stop. It sounds scary because it is scary. A big change, but you deserve a better life.

That is the day you will begin being good to yourself, start treating yourself kindly, and stop the poison once and for all. Live life on your terms without the armor, because you don't need it.

It might be the hardest thing you have ever done, but it is worth it and you will be proud of yourself. Ask anyone here for help or advice. Keep us posted. All of us would like to hear more.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too would suggest asking your doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawals as they can sometimes be dangerous. After detox, find yourself a program of action to stay sober. AA, SMART, LifeRing are just three of them that I can think of. Also there's counseling. I see an addiction counselor and she's been very helpful in all aspects of my life.

I hope the support here, and in real life, can help you get sober for good. It really is a better way of living.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR Miranda - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Miranda
Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Miranda! I'm a mom too and quit over two years ago. I will say you will find amazing people here. Read and post often. You can do this! You will be a more present and engaged mom.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to meet you Miranda.

I started out drinking to calm myself down and cope with stress - and ended up completely dependent on it. I'm glad you've realized what drinking is doing to your life & taking action. You aren't alone.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the all the information and support. I tried calling my local AA today to find out some information about the meeting and didn't get anywhere with that. The toll free number to went to some man that yelled at me no to call anymore and hung up! So that was kind of discouraging. I might try some of the other organizations mentioned although I am not that familiar with them.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If a guy yelled at you not to call anymore then it wasn't AA. Try searching online for your regional office and go from there. If it is the same number try searching for AA headquarters in New York, explain what happened and get a number from them. I am sorry that happened to you. That would be very discouraging.

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!