Hello ~ New to ACOA

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello ~ New to ACOA

I've decided and it was suggested that I check out ACOA. I grew up in an alcoholic home and realize that I have the scars as many of us do here. It has been implied that I am an alcoholic and yes, I flatly deny that. Call it what you will, "denial", "don't want to see", whatever the cliches are, I know that doesn't fit.

I'm here to learn from ALL of you. I feel this is a fit. Will just view the board and learn and hopefully will grow and not remain stunted.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sinead, welcome! I am an ACA, too, and started going to weekly meetings a month ago. Already it has opened my eyes and brought up a lot of stuff for me. It is helping me to reevaluate my relationships and how I allow myself to be treated and to recognize learned behaviors that don't suit me well.

I'm not ready to call myself an alcoholic, but I did stop drinking because I had problems with control and I'm much happier and healthier and present in my own life without alcohol.

I remember the quote "be the change you wish to see in the world" and always thought it meant that I had to do something big and special and I didn't think it applied to me because I had nothing big enough or special enough to offer as change. But I realized that quitting drinking is the change I want to see in MY world . . . I'd love for my dad to quit drinking. But if he can't/won't (I can't make him do it), then I can at least do that for myself and change my own life for the better.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome. This is a great place to read and learn. And when you can, post.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kialua View Post
Hi, welcome. This is a great place to read and learn. And when you can, post.
Oh I'll post Kialua. Thanks for the warm welcome from the previous poster as well.