Notices

Just going to jump right in here...

Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just going to jump right in here...

Why is it that I can drink 18-20 light beers per night, be fine in the morning and perform all of my duties at work at a high level?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

because 18-20 light beers is like 9-10 regular beers.... and your alcoholism hasn't yet progressed to devastating levels.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a dream of many of us. It works for awhile then it's like a bat suddenly hitting us if we are of alcoholic tendencies.

BE WELL
Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know. Why are you wondering?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i think at the least you are thinking you are physically invincible. go to your doctor and get a full liver panel and the rest of the bloodwork. light beers have the same amount of booze then regular beers so its not like your body wont be harmed by them
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you wondering for the same reasons I also wondered? Some days I could drink three bottles of wine starting from morning til night, bearly eating, with no bad effects later. Clearly I was drinking way too much and I used to get hangovers so I started wondering why they stopped, and if it was a bad sign that my body was adjusted to drinking excessively. I don't know the answer but the lack of hangover symptoms isn't a sign that the alcohol is ok for your body
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Why is it that I can drink 18-20 light beers per night, be fine in the morning and perform all of my duties at work at a high level?
Yea I did that to until my 40s. It will catch up with you.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

exactly.... actually, looking back I think the point at which I stopped having hangovers was the beginning of things getting really bad....
Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good question. I have another...if it is not a problem for you, why are you on an alcohol recovery site asking in the first place?

I can tell you that drinking that much each day will eventually destroy you both physically and mentally..the only question is when it will happen.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would add "so far". It will catch up with you and before you know it you won't be functioning at a high level anymore.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My hangovers got worse as I got older, especially when I hit thirty. xxx
Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whatever the reason, do you think that is far too much to be drinking in a night?

Just because there is no hangover doesn't mean there is no damage, in fact when the body deteriorates due to alcohol, eventually people don't even feel a hangover as the kidneys/liver stop producing the chemical that causes what we call the symptoms of a hangover!!

Your in real trouble at that stage when that happens!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

High tolerance isn't good. The stuff is still bad for you even if you don't feel it.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

I lied to myself many times while I was drinking...that I was such a good worker that I could even do a good job when I was hungover or still drunk; that I was meeting my responsibilities, like paying bills; that I was "present enough" for other people; that I was such a good person that even fifty percent of me was good enough; that other people, knowing me for the good and responsible person I was, weren't settling for less from me, but were reveling in the rare times they could rely on me. It never ended. I lowered the bar so often that at some point in time it was buried beneath me and my drinking.

I've said many times before that one thing we cannot ever know about our drinking is how much better our lives might have been had we not wasted so many years and so much effort indulging ourselves, damaging ourselves and others in the process.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I lied to myself many times while I was drinking...that I was such a good worker that I could even do a good job when I was hungover or still drunk; that I was meeting my responsibilities, like paying bills; that I was "present enough" for other people; that I was such a good person that even fifty percent of me was good enough; that other people, knowing me for the good and responsible person I was, weren't settling for less from me, but were reveling in the rare times they could rely on me. It never ended. I lowered the bar so often that at some point in time it was buried beneath me and my drinking.

I've said many times before that one thing we cannot ever know about our drinking is how much better our lives might have been had we not wasted so many years and so much effort indulging ourselves, damaging ourselves and others in the process.
OMG, I thought these things too...exactly these things. I thought that people put up with my drinking because they knew me to be such a good person "otherwise". Eventually, the otherwise got smaller and smaller while the drinking got bigger and bigger. When I, myself, questioned who I was as a person because of my drinking, I knew I couldn't deny the drinking problem any longer.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Probably because you are young but WATCH OUT that day of reckoning can come out of the blue.

I suspect that, deep down and maybe not so deep down, you sense there is a problem here.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
because 18-20 light beers is like 9-10 regular beers.... and your alcoholism hasn't yet progressed to devastating levels.
I think that the major difference between regular and lite beer is mostly in the calories and carbs. The difference in alcohol content is very nominal (less than 1% difference, I think).
Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

18-20 cans of anything in one night is a lot.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by SillyString View Post
OMG, I thought these things too...exactly these things. I thought that people put up with my drinking because they knew me to be such a good person "otherwise". Eventually, the otherwise got smaller and smaller while the drinking got bigger and bigger. When I, myself, questioned who I was as a person because of my drinking, I knew I couldn't deny the drinking problem any longer.
It may not be a popular idea, but I believe that all of us are much more alike than otherwise, alcoholic or not.