Notices

How sober can I get? Weekender thread! March 7 - 9!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up How sober can I get? Weekender thread! March 7 - 9!

If I could have one ice cream cone? as a kid I wanted two!

If mom gave me a hug... I asked for another. She always gave it to me. Moms will do that for you.

A day off from school? I played sick the next day.

My drug dealer knew these things about me too. He would come over with two bags of crack when I only asked for one.

He started leaving a bag under a pot on the porch. The drain at the side of the house. So when I called yet again... And I did... He didn't have to drive all the way back. He just told me where to find it.

Never enough.

So of all the things... Tasty things... Fun things ... Bad things ... I have done in my life... And of all the attempts to get more and more of what made me perceive happiness... Good or bad... I have to stop and ask myself...

How sober can I get? How much sobriety is too much?

The happiness I get from not drinking has started to sink in. I want more.

More sobriety. A clearer head. A steadier hand. A working liver. And the oddest.... My eyesight has gotten better. I can see more detail now that I am not perpetually dehydrated. Love that!

The funny thing about gorging on sobriety is I can never have enough to share.

I can't give you my extra sobriety. I can only show you what I have and hope you like it enough to go get your own.

So this weekend. When you are out and about. Think of how you feel sober. Maybe share something with somebody. Someone you know or don't know. And in your heart you will know that you are sharing the gift of being sober.

How sober can you get?

K
---------------------------------

Started this on Thursday evening for me.... Our friends in other time zones are already in weekend mode!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I call shotgun!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Woohoo olive! Let's have a great sober weekend!

Did you have a good week? I did. Busy at work. Made some good food. And Saturday is supposed to be warm.

Cannot wait.

Ken
Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, Weasel, thanks! I'm ready for a sober weekend. Sunday will be 1 month for me, again. Got to get it right this time. I know sobriety is a much better way of living. Going to be warm (50's ) here on Sat too!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Then lets help you with your countdown to one month!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Or is that a count up to one month! Lol
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually, Weasel, I had a crap week.....and there is still one more day.
My company may or may not be on it's last legs and every day I go to work it is all I can do to keep the bandages fresh and the safety pins intact. Which is super sad, because I really like my job, and the dog loves to come to work with me.
But I have mastered the art of cleaning work from my head at the end of every day and especially at the end of every week, so I anticipate a lovely weekend. There is art that must be done, and chicken that must be braised and television to be watched. I ordered some fancy organic vegetable seeds from a seed catalog, and if they arrive I will need to figure out some sort of growing starts inside system.

And then, there is the weekend thread to keep up with.
It will be a good weekend.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heck yeah, I'm in.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

My answer is COMPLETELY! I'm in... I want the back passenger seat, so I can bug Olive! LOL!

I really feel that once you reach a certain point in your own personal battle with the beast and are winning.... then you can start addressing the underlying issue's that caused your addiction. Kind of like working the steps but more personal.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well olive... Good attitude. Glad you are here with us!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope4... That's awesome! Olive will love you bugging her! Lol
Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Count me in!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in. You all got started before me. I'm watching the Chicagoland program on CNN. Missed about twenty minutes while reading to my son. Some gorgeous shots of the city. Too bad there are such deeply entrenched problems. But where there are problems there is also beauty and hope. Just like sobriety.

Work was good this week. Felt a little harried with getting kids here and there. Have been reading the threads on here and have noticed a bunch of people with some sober time feeling a lull. In a rut. I think it is the coming seasonal change. I may start a thread. Meanwhile, Hope, are you going to kick the back of Olive's seat?

Thanks for kicking off the thread Ken.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had a large laugh this week. I watched a trial and the young public defender made the argument that the fact that her client, a 53 year old grandma, and she referred to her as a 53 year old grandmother, couldn't dial her cellphone wasn't because she was too drunk to dial it but because at 53 (this poor, aged, aged old thing) was just unfamiliar with this new technology. Those of us of a certain age will not soon let her forget her argument. The judge came out on lunch and asked the public defender if she could help him make a call, he was having trouble figuring out his phone. Then later he commented that he should have one of those chair lifts installed to help him get up and down from the bench. The judge is about my age late 40s early 50s. Yesterday the public defender commented that no one was going to let her forget that and I said "no, because we actually can remember things sometimes." The folly of youth. Made me remember a really idiotic thing I said when I was twenty and told a 27 year old that she looked good for her age. I just remember that and cringe.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Ken, I don't know how you manage to keep coming up with these thought provoking posts, but I love it that you do. I think the longer you stay sober the more your appreciation for it deepens. Before we were playing limbo-how low could we go? Now it's the opposite!

I'm in this weekend-St. Patrick's Day parade weekend where I live, so I'd better buckle up for the ride lol I do know I'm not stressing about it half as much as last year (my first sober St. Pat's in decades).

I tried the new Dunkin Donuts Irish Crème flavor ice coffee today and literally thought "who needs a mudslide when you can drink this?". It's really good-perfect timing on their part.

TGIF everyone. What will you do with your weekend to bring joy to your life?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I plan to go to brunch, watch movies and avoid drinking situations this weekend
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. I have a lot of work to do to get ready for the week, but I'll be okay. Getting the hot tea ready.
Be well everyone!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just finished a rousing game of whack-a-mole with the cat, now off to sleep. The weekend starts soon!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Last weekend was my first sober in a long time. Sign me up for number 2!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Count me in, please x