Notices

Newbie here

Old 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hello,

I thought I would say hello after reading lots I'm 40 years old female and been drinking a bottle of wine a night almost every night for the last 20 years, this has been creeping up to a bottle and a half a night recently.

I don't crave alcohol during the day and only usually want it to relax in the evening but I do find it hard to not have a drink at night so I guess I have a problem.

I'd love to talk to people in a similar position.

Julie
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Julie! You are wise to be taking a look at your consumption. I think it'll really help you to be here. Glad you joined us.

In my 40's I was drinking about the same as you - but slowly it began to take more & more to achieve the same effect. 10 yrs. later I was drinking massive amounts & in deep trouble. That's when I came to SR & found the courage to change.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This thing is progressive. It will take more and more until you are stuck wondering how to get out.

Glad you posted. Maybe try to live sober for a few weeks?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Julie, welcome. I was drinking the same amount as you and realised that it was a problem. Way over the recommended limit for women and I started to obsess about not having enough in the house, is it 5 o'clock yet? Seeing my friends not drinking the same amount and I would have about 3 to their 1. It is not a normal drinking pattern and not good for our body or soul. You have done the right thing coming here. If you think you have a problem, you probably do. I know I do and want to live a life without worrying about drinking.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome from a fellow wino. I drank anywhere from one to three bottles of wine a day. I finally managed to stop completely over four years ago. I only wish I'd done it sooner.

You'll find lots of support here. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Julie

there's always support here, day or night

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to SR Julie. You aren't alone here
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Julie. There are many on here who were or are in similar situations. For me, the only way I could fix it was to not drink one day at a time. Keep reading and posting and you will find what you need!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Julie, Welcome. I started on one per night but over the years ended up with 3 per night some nights when I had only planned 1. Problem was ANY was too much. You'll find lots of help here.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, JulieD. Wine was the poison of choice for many of us here on SR. It is so easy for a half of a bottle of wine a day to turn into one, and for one to turn into two and so on. It's a slippery slope. Glad you found us; you will find lots of support here.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Julie!

I started out with one bottle of wine, then moved on to vodka as the wine wasn't cutting it. Then had to move on to cheap sherry with high alcohol content because the vodka got too expensive. Just something to think of as it is definately progressive.

So glad you found us, you will get lots of support and help here.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Julie, Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Julie,

I was there as well!!!

Matt
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Julie, so glad you are here. It is a hard thing to get away from, but start at the beginning.

I had a friend in AA once tell me, "Just make it ONE day." Can you make it just ONE day?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so very much for all your supportive replies, what a lovely place this seems to be. x

I'll keep reading and see how I go. I will certainly try 'one day' but at the moment 2 weeks seems a long way off.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Julie,
I was the exact same way, did not drink at all during the day, relaxed at night with wine, first one glass then two then a bottle, then a bottle and a half and so on. I have been sober for 3 months now and it is still really hard. I started with just making it five minutes, then ten and so on. It is a real challenge but as I looked at my life and really turned into myself I realized the patterns I was repeating. I read a lot, pray a lot and just take it a day at a time. Be kind to yourself and keep trying. We are all here for support! Good luck!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bernice07 View Post
Hi Julie,
I was the exact same way, did not drink at all during the day, relaxed at night with wine, first one glass then two then a bottle, then a bottle and a half and so on. I have been sober for 3 months now and it is still really hard. I started with just making it five minutes, then ten and so on. It is a real challenge but as I looked at my life and really turned into myself I realized the patterns I was repeating. I read a lot, pray a lot and just take it a day at a time. Be kind to yourself and keep trying. We are all here for support! Good luck!
Congratulations on 3 sober months, Bernice; very well done. (I counted minutes at first, also; and then I counted hours, then days. Somehow, that time has turned into over two years; now I want decades of sobriety; can't get enough of it).
Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Julie.I'm a similar age, female and had almost identical dirnking habit. It does creep up and more at the weekends. I'm 15 months sober now and never felt better, both mentally and physically. I genuinely never thought I could live without wine,now I'm shocked I lived the way I did for so long.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

welcome xx
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Welcome Julie.I'm a similar age, female and had almost identical dirnking habit. It does creep up and more at the weekends. I'm 15 months sober now and never felt better, both mentally and physically. I genuinely never thought I could live without wine,now I'm shocked I lived the way I did for so long.

Ditto; I truly didn't think I could live without wine, either. 15 months, ReadyAtLast - majorly well done.