Alcoholic/Suicidal/Homeless parent

Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic/Suicidal/Homeless parent

Hi all. I'm at a loss of what to do today and found this forum and thought I'd ask other people with experience for some advice.

My biological dad lives on the opposite coast as me. We were close as I was a kid and I still love him of course but haven't stayed in touch to well. I'm in my late 20's, have a great career going, just bought a house, have one little boy and another due in a few days..... BUT my dad called me this morning and said he needs to come live with me because he can't stay sober in California where he lives now. He tried to hang himself a couple weeks ago. I am his only family.

I feel like I need to help him as he is looking to me for help, but I'm terrified it will be a mistake to have him around my kids, my work, etc. I need to take care of my family. I started looking online to see if there is a rehab place in the area (anywhere in New England) or even a mental institution for the suicidal tendencies, but how is he supposed to do that if he is homeless and has no insurance?

I guess my question is - is there even a way for him to get back to a normal life. He has been an alcoholic for a few years now, in jail multiple times, hasn't worked in years.. where does he go for help if I can't be the one to do it? And should I be the one to do it? I can't picture anyone would hire him even if he was clean because of his past and lack of experience.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have advice for you, but I am sorry for your predicament. I can say that you need boundaries and need to prioritize your immediate family (wife, kids).
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In most states there are programs in the state that can guide you on who the resources are in that area. I know here in MO you can call First Call For Help. It sounds like he needs inpatient rehab. I know Salvation Army has one I believe for no cost.

I really caution you, an alcoholic in your home with small children can cause great distress in your home. I encourage you to help him help himself.

God Bless!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New Hampshire Free Rehab Centers

Wow. I don't know. But having an alcoholic in your home doesn't sound good. Click on the link for free rehabs. Good luck.