Courage To Change 03/06/14

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 03/06/14

Al-Anon has helped me realize that no one readily knows what is in my heart, mind, and soul. I can't expect my needs to be met unless I first explain what those needs are. Nor can I expect any one person to meet all those needs, even if I make them clear. If the first person I ask for help is unable to provide it, I can ask someone else. This takes the pressure off all of us.
Before I began my Al-Anon recovery, I expected those closest to me to know what I was feeling without my telling them. When I was angry and wanted to argue, I silently fumed. When I was hurt and wanted comfort, I pouted. When I wanted attention, I talked non--stop. I couldn't understand why I rarely got the responses I expected!
I no longer expect anyone to read my mind. I also accept that I can't read the mind of a loved one. Today I treat the people in my life with more respect because I am learning to ask for what I need to encourage others to do the same.

Today's Reminder

Help, comfort, and support are available to me. I am willing to reach out for what I need today

"… I cannot expect anyone to help me unless I am willing to share that I need help."

~…In All Our Affairs
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks. This is something I really needed validation for this week. It's ok to ask for help, it's ok to not be superhuman. It's ok to express my needs.

Thank you.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That's something I still struggle with: asking for help and also getting frustrated because people are not mind readers and cannot anticipate my needs.
I m getting better at it but I got a lot of pride getting in the way, I m supposed to be the "fixer" not the "fixee" LOL