Bewildered

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Bewildered

After 36 years my A sister and her orphaned teen granddaughter are living with me and hubby. Strangely the same dynamics with A sister are the same as with an A teen. While sis is not active her behaviors are the same as if she were this causes so much stress every day for all family memebers.

When we agreed to take them in 5 years ago they assured us that Sis was sober RXA (prescription drug addict). I had not seen or talked to Sis more than 3 times in 36 years. So, what did I know? I could not imagine that a grandmother would ask her granddaughter to lie about such a thing. It did not take long to figure out.

My RXA sister agreed to give all her meds to me (which I keep under lock and key), allow me to be present at Dr visits, and stay sober in exchange for a place to live. I thought that would mean all this stress and worry would be eliminated from our life.... I was so look wrong.

The A behaviors are still there and that is why I am here... bewildered..
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ow........I'm so sorry to hear this. Blessings your way.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That must be very frustrating! I am glad you found us here at SR. It is a great place to learn and get support. Take a look at the stickies at the top of this forum, there is a lot of really good stuff up there. We are all here because we care about someone who has an addiction, and we, more than people not in this situation, will understand and listen.

First, know that you are not alone. I think we have all been fooled by the A in our lives, over and over. It's not your fault for wanting to believe the best in someone. The hardest lesson I had to learn about my A, is that I could not control his using, no matter what I did. The best thing I have learned is that it waa never my responsibility.

Keep reading, others will be along to offer their stories and support.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support it means a lot. It seems like I am always helping so no one seems to realize that courage is not the absence of fear, it is just the willingness to keep going. People don't realize I need the same thing they do. My Amom said it is my job to take care of those weaker than me. It feels lonely..
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Firefall, your sister and her grandchild have been with you for 5 years now, or has the grandchild moved out?
Your mom does not have the right to define your life for you. You may not want to take care of others; it's your choice. Family dynamics are a minefield, but your sister may think your job is to care for her too. I've found that when I get together with my sisters we often revert into childhood roles. This is something we need to be aware of because it's not healthy or appropriate behaviour for adults.
You've taken on the role of policeman for your sister, having to monitor her visits to the doctor etc. Does she resent this, and in turn act like a rebellious child towards her mother? Have you considered taking off all restraints and letting her decide for herself whether she wants to go on living with you? Is there any reason why she can't live independently?
Can I suggest you join Alanon or Naranon? You'll meet others who know exactly what you're going through, and learn what you have power over, and what you don't.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
Thank you for your support it means a lot. It seems like I am always helping so no one seems to realize that courage is not the absence of fear, it is just the willingness to keep going. People don't realize I need the same thing they do. My Amom said it is my job to take care of those weaker than me. It feels lonely..
I bought into this crap most of my adult life and ended caring for others at the expense of myself, my marriage, my life and career.

It is not your job to spend your life rescuing your family.
You have a right to care for yourself and to enjoy your life without
stress, worry, and policing adults.

Please do look into the family dynamic issues mentioned by others.
I have found therapy really helpful for this.

Best to you. Great dog in your photo by the way
Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Feeling great...
Grandniece is my A sister's granddaughter. I have been raising her since she was 12. She's junior in high school. Her mother, my sister's daughter died of a codeine and whiskey intoxication. I had not seen Sis or her daughter in 30 some years. My sister has codeine addiction she is 63 years old. She has a medical necessity to take pain meds as well as Bella Dona for Chrohns Disease. This is why she has to have meds monitored. Currently she is sober. The problem is she behaves the same as she did when she was loaded.
She is hides in her room until everyone is asleep, will not eat with the rest of the family, never admits taking things and not replacing them. Does not spend time with granddaughter, lies about everything to everyone. We have had to lock up my husband's codeine cough syrup because 8 oz went missing sometime during the last month. I am frustrated because she is very involved in AA. I am rushing her to the Dr constantly, when someone else gets sick, she has to get something worse, but all this junk goes on almost every day.
I am not willing (at this time) to put sister on the street due to her general health. Her son will not take her and there is no one else. I just need to understand how to return the sanity to my home.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Part of returning to sanity is learning how to detach.

Detaching means different things to different people. Learning not to do things, for her or anyone else, that she CAN do for herself. Many folks choose not to do things for themselves....a difference. Often when they detaching begins, you hear alot of moaning and groaning and poor me! It's to be expected.....

You don't have to put her in the street to detach. Perhaps read things about codependency.....start looking at your life from a different perspective. How can you do things different? What boundaries can you set?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know how to take care of myself. I went to therapy for a long time, it helped and life got better. BUT, taking my sister to therapy "didn't work" for her and she refused to go back.
I took her granddaughter and with some intense parenting she has become a normal teenager, thank God. My hubby and I have 3 healthy, happy adult daughters... but never did that prepare me for what I would be called to do.

The Dr says due to 50 years of drug abuse that my sister has advanced addictive disorder, she will be an emotional teen for life... (me overwhelmed). I need to find myself so I can make the best decisions.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Txhelp...
Last week before I came here.. detaching meant simply.. getting her out of my life.
This week it means getting her out of my head.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Firefall, even adults who are stunted at the 'emotional teen' level are capable of manipulation and working out how to get their own way. My kids learned that in the cradle

Your sister will modify her behaviour when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing.

You may have tried these basic steps, so I just throw them in in case they worth thinking about:
- Educate yourself on co-dependency - try reading Melanie Beatty's 'Co-dependent no more'.
- Write yourself a list of how you would like your sister to behave (within reason), e.g. eat with the family, pay board, help with the chores, catch the bus to her appointments where possible, ask before taking things.. and so on.
- Sit down with her and ask her what she thinks would be fair and reasonable as a member of the household
- Think about what she can do for herself and don't do it for her; let her deal with the consequences
- Don't underestimate her; she may have learned to be helpless (after all your role is to look after everyone else, right?)
- Find yourself an activity that removes you from the house. Maybe an overnight trip with your husband? Something fun. See if the sky has fallen when you return.

Just some of my thoughts but hopefully you can take something from them.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FeelingGreat..
Thanks.. your words ring true, especially the word "helpless" she uses this often along with mom never let me do anything myself because I wasn't smart enough".
But she has managed to survive in situations that raise the hair on the back of my neck.
And Mom has been gone 24 years so that makes me wonder how she survived for 19 on her own.
I have copied your words to my journal... they are a good place to start. I will get the Beatty book. The last few days I have been trying to read as much as I can. It helps. Talking to you all here and the literature. Don't yet understand why it helps, but it does.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Txhelp...
Last week before I came here.. detaching meant simply.. getting her out of my life.
This week it means getting her out of my head.
^^^
Very wise observation.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And Mom has been gone 24 years so that makes me wonder how she survived for 19 on her own.
Exactly!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't know how to take care of myself.
Then you've come to a good place. We're very big on self care around here. Many of us, like you, were so accustomed to taking care of others that we didn't have a clue how to take care of ourselves. But we've learned how....and so can you.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sis is loaded tonight.... staying in my zone here.... Letting go...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hawkeye13
Thanks.... read your post a couple of days ago... but today is when I needed them.

Dog is great more images in my Album http:// http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/members/firefall-albums-traces-picture14984-my-service-dog-friend-constant-companion.jpg
Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Firefall, I am sorry you are going through all this and glad you reached out. Meetings will help you find your balance, and reading lots about codependency. There is a lot of good information up in the Sticky threads at the top of this forum as well that may help you understand more about how addiction and codependency keep dancing together until both are exhausted.

Once you find your balance, you may be able to set better boundaries, like having her eat with the family and not isolate permanently.

Maybe also check with some mental health support organizations near you, mental illness and addiction often go hand in hand and it's hard to deal with one without understanding the other.

I hope you find some support soon, this must just overwhelm you.

Hugs
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Firefall, I am sorry you are going through all this and glad you reached out. Meetings will help you find your balance, and reading lots about codependency. There is a lot of good information up in the Sticky threads at the top of this forum as well that may help you understand more about how addiction and codependency keep dancing together until both are exhausted.

Once you find your balance, you may be able to set better boundaries, like having her eat with the family and not isolate permanently.

Maybe also check with some mental health support organizations near you, mental illness and addiction often go hand in hand and it's hard to deal with one without understanding the other.

I hope you find some support soon[/B], this must just overwhelm you.

Hugs
Went to therapy with her... she went to one meeting and said it didn't work for her. She says AA is all she needs. Have met the ladies there and most are amazing women who are working the program. But as she made friends she began to do what she does... lie, the poor me tales. I went to one al-anon meeting last year and was told at the end of the meeting that I needed to watch what I say because everyone knows my sister.... soooo

I feel caught between my need to communicate so I can get help and my feeling of talking smack about my sister... :-/

I am reading sticky notes and that does help.. also I don't like to say, but I have agoraphobia and short term memory damage from heat stroke 6 years ago (hence the service dog)... so I have to stay in a close radius to where I live. There is a great meeting place nearby... but sister goes to AA meetings there.
Except for the ones I am meeting here... I have become cut off. In case you haven't figured it out, I love people... but cut off now
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today sister hiding out in her room... She does this every time she gets migraine meds... then when meds are gone she stops hiding.