Notices

Mind Racing in The Evenings?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Mind Racing in The Evenings?

Mine sure does. Always has - as far back as I can remember. I jump from one thought to the next in a seemingly unconnected way. I start to work at something, but I can't focus on it for long. If I try to look something up on the internet I soon find 45 minutes has gone by, I have 7 browser windows open, and I still haven't looked up the issue that brought me to the keyboard. TV is boring. Life seems boring. It's an uncomfortable feeling.

I used to drink to escape that feeling. It would work for one evening, but later I found out it was dooming me to 90 more evenings of EVEN HIGHER anxiety. Drinking was no answer. I quit drinking and it got better, but I am still restless most evenings.

I have several hobbies that I enjoy, but I seem to enjoy them in spurts. I like to read about them or engage in them for a few days or weeks, and then they bore me and I find a new hobby (or return to an old one).

Some days I get brilliant ideas. I need to completely reorganize my office, or my shop. I'll work at that all day. Or maybe I want to find out how I can become an addictions counselor. Or I want to get my master's degreee in finance. In economics. In business administration. In critical thinking. I will spend all day researching various programs for it online.

For every 100 projects I start I finish 1 or 2. I always seem to lose interest.

I have trouble staying asleep, frequently waking up at 0230 or 0300. Sometimes I try to go back to sleep - which almost never works. My mind is racing and I don't feel sleepy. Most of the time I get up and start drinking coffee or tea to get my day going. After 2 or 3 cups I start to feel quite sleepy, and I go back to bed. Weird, eh?

I have ADHD.

Everything I listed above is a symptom of ADHD.

I never even suspected I might have it until a few months ago. Never crossed my mind. My therapist gave me a test a few weeks ago and the results were positive. I am moderately ADHD.

I don't consider it an affliction or a disability. It does, however, explain quite a lot about how my brain works - and WHY, at least initially, I liked alcohol so very very much. It also gives me some additional techniques to use to further enable happy sober living.

I still get restless in the evenings, but now I know why. And, you know, it's really not that bad.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ADHD.... or freaking GENIUS?

Channel that stuff brother.... I think one thing many addictive folks share in common is a level of mental agility that rivals the greatest thinkers. It's a blessing and a curse, but the blessing can be harnessed and magnified.

Part of that, I'm finding, is choice. Choosing a goal or a vision.... setting a general path for a desired outcome that will serve you and the world. This can harness all that chaotic thought power and energy into a direction that will help you focus.

The world is so full of things to focus on and possibilities that we can easily be distracted in our mental processes - making conscious choices about how to channel our thoughts helps. Also, meditation or moving meditative practices (see the thread on distance running) can help still the chatter and teach us focus.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi Nonsensical,
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in rehab a few years ago. I always knew I had it, but it's difficult for adults to get a diagnosis. When I was a child, there wasn't a lot known about then so my parents/teachers just thought I was lazy or had a learning disability. People with ADHD are particularly susceptible to substance abuse.

I have all the same symptoms you do but I am on ADHD medication which really helps a lot with the racing mind and focus. You may want to discuss meds with your doctor.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Non... I was reading your post going... "Dude, that's ADHD." LOL I am diagnosed as ADD-I. I don't think of it as a disability either. I know a lot of people think they're ADD. I know the symptoms are really relatable to almost everyone. The difference is for people with ADD, they are chronic to the point of causing quality of life issues. The symptoms can be extremely frustrating, and they don't "just pass". I take medication and it's extremely helpful to me.

There's a book called "You mean I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid?" I've read a lot of books on it (at the same time.. in various stages. ;-)), but that one is my favorite.

I thought everyone had what I call "ping pong brain". But, apparently they do not. lol I didn't think I was ADD until they decided to screen me for it. I thought I was just "weird". But, it was kind of a relief to be diagnosed, because I've dealt with it my whole life and had a lot of self-esteem issues because I never quite "cut the mustard" - even when I tried very hard. I know now that I can do/learn everything that anyone else can- just not always through the regular channels.

I have been very surprised- and you may find this too- at the varied opinions regarding ADD in both the general public, and the medical community. It's pretty strange that people think it's mythical (like dragons)- yet there have been years of scientific study including brain imaging that confirm it's very real existence. And yes, it was over diagnosed at a certain point in time... A lot of people think that autism is "over diagnosed" nowadays, and thus have all kinds of "opinions". I have a nephew with autism, and I know first hand- it is VERY real. It can be very annoying to hear people spew opinions on things they have no real knowledge about.

But I digress!!

ADHD really is a gift, depending on how you look at it!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
I take medication and it's extremely helpful to me.
I have not decided against medication, but I want to exhaust other options first. I am new at understanding what I am dealing with, so it will be months (at least) before I feel like I've exhausted my other options.