Notices

Using a crutch

Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using a crutch

I don't feel the need to go into my past at the moment but know I've been fighting alcohol abuse for approx 14 years. In my last attempts to quit I eventually gave in by convincing myself my problem really wasn't that bad or I have controlled my problem better since the last year I've limited myself so much compared to my past years. It's only been one week. But I find myself having to talk myself out of those thoughts quite a bit. Does anyone have a good stradegy to stop those thoughts. I just tell myself to keep going and not give in. It's been working but it's definitely been a challenge. I thought I'd have more difficulty with my response dealing with stress than dealing with that. I find myself however using muscle relaxers, Xanax etc. to keep myself from reaching. Pouring juice into my wine glass to keep me from continuously thinking what's not there. I've heard or learned in the past that using crutches like this is a bad way to deal with sobriety. But they seem to be comforting me and helping me a great deal. I quit smoking 3 years ago by quitting cigerettes and using the electronic. I eventually stopped reaching for the electronic and was free. Has this tactics worked for anyone or am I setting myself up for failure?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

I tried to do the same thing once but just found myself a new and just as destructive addiction. I cannot touch any of it; I simply do not have the ability to control myself.

My approach to those drinking thoughts is to literally say out loud "Shut Up"! I had to do it today a few times. I say it forcefully and loud to stop the AV. It acts like a reset button for me.

I suggest trying a few different approaches to curbing the desire and thoughts to see what really works for you. If it were me, I would dump the pills, just another mind-numbing drug like alcohol.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, tippy. Your questions are quite normal and most of us have had those same questions early on. The fact is, you cannot control one addiction with a drug that is easily addictive. Muscle relaxers and Xanax are both highly addictive.

If you truly want recovery, then you have found a great place full of very supportive people who will do all that we can to help you.

I hope you'll stick around and read and post a lot. It really will help.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

Personally, I think muscle relaxers and benzoes are more dangerous than ecigs - they're a whole other kettle of fish.

How long have you been sober for Tippy?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm using both very little and responsibly on valid prescriptions. But I understand that I shouldn't. I'm not worried about abiding them. I've used them on and off in the past as needed. Smoking pot is legal in my state and I've been told it is not addictive. Hopefully I'll stop needing or using them less and less. But I know to be careful. I'm not downing handfuls. I'm using the prescribed dose or less. But like I said I do know that it's not the best decision. I was curious if it had actually worked for anyone else. I'm guessing not then. I've only been sober a week. Last time lady year for 2 weeks. Before that I went 2 straight months nearly 6 years ago. So I'm far from an expert by any means. I'm doing better than I thought however which I believe is why I keep trying to talk myself out of quitting. Telling myself I'm not as bad as I am. Or that quitting spent matter. What are stradegies that seem to work when u need to fight those thoughts. I just do my best to talk myself out of the moment. As far as I know that's the best I can do. I use to drink to reward myself too. I'm replacing that with sweets which also is a crutch. How do I break this cycle? How do I stop using the crutches without going back to drinking
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I apologize for the auto correct butchering my paragraph before I proof read.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by tippy32 View Post
Smoking pot is legal in my state and I've been told it is not addictive.
This is a popular and dangerous misconception that both the medical and psychiatric communities have traditionally and (largely) unwittingly endorsed. The idea that marijuana is not addictive was based on a similarly flawed proposition, that since there are no withdrawal symptoms associated with abstaining from smoking following long-term use, then it cannot be addictive. We now know and acknowledge that this is simply untrue, despite the fact that many people insist otherwise.

The legal status of substances of abuse has very little to do with their potential for addiction.

I personally never had a problem with marijuana, but just read the comments from people here who have and you'll find that continued use can be very destructive.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think cross addiction can be a very big problem sometimes - but the fact you're aware of this danger is good.

You're two weeks in - I think everyone at this stage found the going rough.

There are some good anti craving tips here in this link -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

One of the things suggested there is sweets.

If sugar intake concerns you though, I found simpler sugars - fruits etc - can have the same effect

I particularly recommend urge surfing tho (also in that link) no side affects from that

Smoking pot is legal in my state and I've been told it is not addictive.
You've been misinformed, or at least been presented with only one side of the argument.
I smoked daily for 30 years. It was certainly addictive to me.

D
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome tippy,

Not to beat a dead horse, but about this:

Originally Posted by tippy32 View Post
Smoking pot is legal in my state and I've been told it is not addictive
The small but distorted truth to that statement is that marijuana does not directly affect dopamine pathways, as opposed to drugs like heroin.
But there are multiple layers to addiction. Pot and similarly deemed 'non-addictive' substances have the potential to become addictive, as many on this site (including myself) have experienced.

Maybe there is another, safer option than trading addictions?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Tippy xxx
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do realize that u are not suppose to use a crutch. I know that and I am aware of trading one addiction for another. I honestly didn't post this to be told don't do it. I know you aren't suppose to. I'm posting because I am inspite of knowing I shouldn't and I am looking for other ways to get threw the first difficult month and then the months after without becoming dependent or even the slight use of another substance to get threw. I'm already over eating and substituting a lot of food that I shouldn't be eating. Although this may not seem to others as one of the worst crutches it is an unnecessary crutch I'm using nonetheless and I'd like some ideas that will be of more positive benefit. Not to be told what I already know, which is u aren't suppose to use another substance to replace one you've already abused. Thank u for your responses. But please, I'm looking for other things that have worked. The books posted were a great idea. Things like that, that have worked would be greatly appreciated. Thank u