Notices

Just told my mom I was quitting drinking

Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just told my mom I was quitting drinking

Feels good. First my fiancee now my mom (even though they are both heavy drinkers themselves)

One step at a time

Wow I've been posting a lot here today!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Admitting there's a problem is the first step to solving it. I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. Life is better sober.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

that is awesome!!!! Very courageous. When I stopped drinking for 12 months in 2011 I told some family at first. It felt so good that I began to tell everyone I valued as a friend. I Told co workers and family that I was an alcoholic. Sometimes complete strangers. It felt good to be honest and own my situation. It also held me accountable. Now people knew I couldn't drink. It helped to keep me in check. Also, now that everyone knew, ifI was struggling I could be honest. I could tell people, "man, I really feel anxious, and want a drink." Then we could talk and I'd overcome urges. By no means am I telling anyone they should do this. Some will be uncomfortable sharing with certain people. I just found out when I owned it, I got amazing feedback and the power I felt to overcome grew exponentially.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi lawgirl. I also felt better after I told people - they knew I was having big problems & most of them were very relieved.

You sound positive and ready to do this. We know you can.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep posting and reading . . . it's better than drinking!!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, I needed to confide in my husband that I was going to stop. Then I told a few close friends. It made me accountable. And it felt like a bit of a relief to just come clean and say the words. Even among my heavily drinking friends, I was probably still always the most hammered person in the room. You know it's bad when even other heavy drinkers are raising eyebrows at you.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through the day.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm new to here, but shared a similar experience with you. It's pretty liberating to be honest with the people that you love. For me it also made it so they are "watching my back" on my sobriety. It's good that you shared this with your mom. Good job!

Keep posting! Good to hear from you!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Originally Posted by SillyString View Post
For me, I needed to confide in my husband that I was going to stop. Then I told a few close friends. It made me accountable. And it felt like a bit of a relief to just come clean and say the words. Even among my heavily drinking friends, I was probably still always the most hammered person in the room. You know it's bad when even other heavy drinkers are raising eyebrows at you.
God yes. "You know it's bad when even other heavy drinkers are raising eyebrows at you."
That was the story of my life last summer at the lake...Everyone was hammered, but I almost always ended up causing a scene, I guess because I didn't know when / or couldn't stop when it was time. It is one of the most shameful feelings in the world when a person you see as an alcoholic tries to do an intervention on you... like "Soooo, maybe you oughta slow down on your drinking, it can't be good for you to drink like that." Makes you want to crawl into a hole... or, have another drink-- as it was at the time.

Glad to not be that person for the fifth day in a row.