Notices

Possible withdrawl symptoms and questions

Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Possible withdrawl symptoms and questions

Hi all, day 6 for me here. I haven't posted a lot but spend a couple hours a day reading and learning from SR. I thought I was doing well and even posted on day 2 that I never have had dt's or withdrawals. Several things hit me this morning which have me very nervous. I will go back to October and summarize.

October 21st, husband took me to ER after we went out with some friends. I drank to much, my family called me on it and I took a handful of Benadryl out of embarrassment and half heartedly thought death would be the answer. Obviously, I was not that serious because I only took 5 but my blood showed nearly .3 blood alcohol. They let me go home and I quit drinking (I am 48 years old and other than several sober spells, I drank about 2 bottles of wine a night). I did not seem to have dt's. I drank again about a month and a half later. Somewhere around that time I began having seizure like tremors for the next month roughly every other day while drinking. I refused to go to the Doctor because I was still so embarrassed about the ER trip.

Fast forward...day 6 today and I have not noticed any dt's until this morning. I am blinded by light and am needing to close all the blinds. I am anxious. I had two cups of coffee - which is normal. I just ate something hoping that might help. I actually made a Dr's appointment for today for something else (lump in my throat for the last 9 months). I know it may sound like I am a hypochondriac, but I really am the farthest from that. I just happen to have these weird things happening to me all of a sudden.

My question is regarding my tremors, or whatever they were. Has anyone had delayed dt's like that? And it actually occurred after I started drinking again. They were really bizarre and scared my family, I was thinking I had MS or something and was possibly just destined to my fate. Not until today did I even think of the connection with alcohol. I do take a Prozac a day and do not do any other drugs.

Any ideas before I go into my appointment? And if it was alcohol related has anyone been given meds by their Dr. to detox at home?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please let us know what the doctor says. I feel what you are describing really should be answered by a healthcare professional. I know I have read that many withdrawal symptoms can occur quite awhile after stopping. Don't play around with anything similar to a seizure. I would be curious to know what your blood sugar is doing. You could be experiencing hypoglycemia. Do these symptoms occur when you are eating regular meals?

Don't skip that appointment.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, I went to the dreaded Dr's appointment yesterday. They were so kind and supportive, and of course they questioned why I did not come in earlier. I am scheduled for a MRI tonight and a scopectomy (or something like that) in a few days. They increased my Prozac to 2 a day because I cried the whole appointment. I will just wait and see what the reports say.

But, more importantly I am sober today. My body calmed down yesterday, and today I just feel itchy. It's interesting reading others descriptions of their first few days, but mine don't seem to follow the typical patterns of dt's. I wonder if it is because of all the vitamins I have taken for years. It really has not been that bad - not nearly as bad as a large proportion of my hangovers. I just ordered two books which I saw recommended on SR - Under The Infuence and Beyond The Influence. I am reading as much as I can here and so grateful I found this site.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you mtskies!! One day at a time.

I think I'll pick up those books myself!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mtskies View Post
But, more importantly I am sober today. My body calmed down yesterday, and today I just feel itchy.
I too am on day 6 and have itchyness. I'm glad you are here posting. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk to someone on the same day as you!