Notices

The urge to drink

Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The urge to drink

The urge to drink seems to come at me more when I am alone and sad. Today is a sad one for me. I have nothing to occupy my time right now. All my homework is done, my surgery for Wednesday is scheduled, and I have nothing to do. I have a meeting at 8 but being without a car (which I think is a blessing right now) kind of leaves me stranded. I hate eating dinner alone. I don't like going to my home. Although I guess that is the best place for me. Ah heck.... (I mean the bad version of that but don't want to use foul language). I have 12 days on me right now. I picked up a new sponsor last night. I read the book on the way in to work today, I've prayed and prayed and cried and cried. And yet, I still have this huge hole in my chest I can't fill. I have 3 things carrying me right now. This board, my home-group, and my higher power. I wish I could just make it all go away. Those steps are taking way too long to work for me. 14 days is my longest sober, and I'm worried. Sorry to be a drag.

Last edited by mimi2014; 03-03-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mimi,

What kinds of things would you like to do to fill your time if you have nothing to do? Do you have any hobbies, are you involved in any kind of exercise program, do you like books or movies? I hope you can find something to do that you enjoy. It will get easier.

Have you read our Sticky?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick around here Mimi - read some stories, post to others, go into chat, play in the arcade...before you know it it will be bed time and you'll have another sober day down

Best wishes for your surgery too
D
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna & Dee... I love to run. Unfortunately, the surgery they have me scheduled for on Wed will prevent me from doing any of that for the next 6 weeks. That's going to drive me crazy. My hobbies? Computers are pretty much my only hobby. When school is out in June I'm gong to volunteer at a homeless shelter to do whatever I can. Other than that. FB games keep me occupied, but they are starting to get boring and I need to rebuild the computer at home. No sound and bad video makes it very frustrating.

Hey Dee - where's the arcade?

Chatting with all of you helps a lot though.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Mimi,
Really Sorry you are having a bad day! Like others have said, find something you really enjoy to do whether its watch TV, read, exercise, or feel like a rock star because you are almost at your record days of sobriety, 14!

In these situations in early sobriety, we just need to occupy our time. It really does get easier the further down the road you get
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The arcade is in the middle of the dark blue bar at the top of the page.

Congrats on two weeks sober! Keep at it!!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Least - how cool is that... I didn't even see that.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two weeks in I remember feeling this way as well. I live alone and it was that quiet time alone after work that got me craving the most. I eventually found things to fill my time and keep me occupied. I created a new routine and, eventually, the time passed by and things got easier. Now I enjoy my alone time but it took awhile to get there.

Of of the things I did A LOT in the early days was watch movies and documentaries about alcohol abuse. In the News area of this forum you can find a lot of recommendations (Netflix became my best friend). It may be a trigger for you but for me it was a motivator. Perhaps it will be for you as well!

Stick with it and keep going. You are at the point where things start to get better soon Just keep remembering that feeling you have waking up sober and proud of your accomplishment the day before!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A long walk in the fresh air!! . . . always works for me, coat on, ipod in, clear out the head!!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

whaatttt? games? thanks least!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Games keep me busy. Anything that can keep me busy is a great thing. Paulina... couldn't tell if you were serious or not.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi mimi congratulations on your days sober, it really does get sober, thing is planning your time you'd normally be s*******d and out of it! cost there's so much more time to enjoy.

Hope all goes well with your surgey.xx
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I was praying today after posting and got a lot of rays of sunshine from the posts here. Very cool place to be.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

It really is, mimi, I can't thank this place enough, got me through some tough times and some good, funny times, like being with comfortable 'old' friends, part of the family. Enjoy x
Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Said prayer on behalf for Wed. I would stay sober w/ help from SR & sponsor then go thru this operation successfully w/o having poured a drink over it
Best wishes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One of the best things about this site is the honesty with which most people share their feelings. Thank you for YOUR honesty. I am 11 months sober and some days feel just as lost and empty and alone as you do. Sometimes i think 'whats the point, life don't make any sense to me.'
But i don't drink.
Because i truly does pass and things get better and i'm only human,and i don't want to die drunk,and i deserve better, and i don't want to hurt my loved ones anymore,and i'm done with self loathing and destruction, and i do believe in a loving God, and i do wan't to help others , AND I AM WORTH IT.
And so are you..........
G
Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

It takes time. Early i had to face the challenge of the desire to avoid discomfort. I realised the only way forward was not to avoid painful or challenging feelings. Its not pleasant but now its something i try to follow as a principle.

Best of luck
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Mimi,
Thought about you today And wanted to recommend a game ( you stated you liked games )to get if you are an iPhone person. It's " words with friends". Over my first year of sobriety it definitely got me through some anxious times and periods of boredom, which was an old trigger that used to lead to drinking. It's little things like this that i grabbed on to when I had cravings early on in recovery...Have a great day!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I second the Words with Friends recommendation. Congrats on two weeks sober! That's quite an accomplishment! (I'm on day 5). From what I've read here it gets easier!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Be easy on yourself Mimi. 12 days is awesome! And remember with the steps, it isn't a sprint, it's a marathon,