Notices

New here

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here

Hi, I am a 26 year old married mother of 2. Since my second son was born 7 months ago drinking has gone from a casual release to a integral part of my evening routine. I have not had more than one sober night a row since his birth and I need to change. My mother is an alcoholic and this is not the life I want to live. I am able to appear in control but in all reality I know this will be a difficult journey but one I need to take for my kids and my husband - as well as myself. I don't want to stop drinking but I absolutely need to. I am not ready to say "I have a problem" to anyone yet but I want to fix it before this spirals downwards and affects my family and career.
I don't know exactly where to start. That's why I am here.
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi fuzzykitten. By coming here you have started your recovery. You will get plenty of help here from people in much the same situation as yourself. Read lots and post often it really helps. Join the 24 hour club here it makes it much easier to beat this addiction just by facing it 1 day at a time.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I don't have a great track record right now so I'm completely intimidated. Haven't had a drink tonight and I'm trying to make this day 1...so much easier as a goal than it will be to accomplish
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye.

We have a Class of March thread too, for those who are quitting alcohol or drugs this month. It's a great way to hold yourself accountable for your sobriety.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ch-2014-a.html

The 24 hour club sign up sheet is in the Daily Support forum. You just post there once a day pledging another 24 hours clean and sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-welcome.html
Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you fuzzykitten. You found a wonderful place for encouragement & help.

My drinking increased after my son was born long ago. It seemed the perfect answer for anxiety. Over the years I came to lean on it too much - and was completely dependent on it in the end. You'll be saving yourself so much grief by stopping now - you're wise to realize the trouble it will cause down the line. You can do this.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm not thoroughly convinced I'm going to make it through day one yet but I am trying!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fuzzykitten View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm not thoroughly convinced I'm going to make it through day one yet but I am trying!
It wont hurt to just not drink today! Why not give it a go
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are smart to address this now. I am 48 and just now working on it with true gusto. You will find loads of support here.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't try to make it through the whole day, just focus on right now. Just keep busy and try to make it to the next 5 minutes, then the next 5 and so on. The first few days are the hardest, but it does get easier. By the way, there are many of us including myself who didn't have a great track record either. Today is day 63 for me. I still think of how I could go get a bottle, but I know if I do I'll spiral right back down. I want to have a productive happy life. That is what is keeping me from the bottle today. I'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here. You can do this!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you are very smart to realize that you need to stop now. I have 3 grown children and i guess I really began to drink more after my first child was born. Drinking caused alot of problems with my husband and my children. I am lucky they still even want to be associated with me and still love me. Do what's best for you and your family and stop here and read the posts. We are here for the same reason. Just reading here may provide you with hope and help you make it through the next 5 min., hour and so on.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! So smart of you to start this now. It may take some work. Even minute by minute, if you have to. But it is worth it. For me, I spent a few years telling myself that I needed to stop "for my kids." Then I'd drink and feel so terrible. My breakthrough came when I realized that I have to do it for myself, no one else. I had totally lost touch with "me." Keep us posted.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi and welcome
Check out the 24 hour club...