Notices

Anyone use meditation for relapse prevention?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone use meditation for relapse prevention?

I'm interested in this and was wondering if anyone uses meditation as a tool for relapse prevention. I just started meditating and it's difficult for me to sit still for 20 minutes. I've been using breathing meditation. I've read some articles on MBRP and would like to have some other's experience with this.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes. I think you'll find it's quite popular with members here.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't but I'm interested. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've meditated in the past on occasion, but never as a regular thing. With my limited experience I may not be the best person to comment. However, I can tell you that sitting and breathing with some nice calm music in the background makes me feel fantastic!! This can even be just for few minutes. So anything healthy that makes you feel real good is probably a great thing to assist with recovery. I would love pointers or feedback from some others who meditate more than I do.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

Google MBRP recovery for more info. I've read several books on mindfulness and addiction. To me it's more than meditation - it's an approach to living. Search mindfulness addiction at an online bookstore.

There are many forms of meditation. Sitting meditation for me is a challenge due to back pain. Sitting still for long is a challenge. I recline and it works better for me, but walking meditation, brief meditations at work and awareness practices help even more. Much of the approach has to do with awareness and self-acceptance in addition to meditation. For me, the meditation is a springboard for mindfulness.

If 20 minutes is too much, start with 3 minutes. Find some specific forms of meditation you find fun. Play with them. Some of my favorites I learned from "Mindful Recovery" by Bien and Bien are the idea of concentrating on the space around and between objects rather than objects. I do this walking by the river - try to see the space between the branches - imagining the space as a solid and the solids as space. I've also played with ideas for allowing thoughts to come and go. Envisioning a meadow, and each thought as an animal that walks into my field of view but keeps walking. I've envisioned thoughts as leaves floating down a river, or thoughts as particles in space floating by...

There are classes, but to start I think it's helpful to read and try some things on your own.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go see a psychiatrist. I found out i was suffering from ADD, PTSD, and depression. After I quit drinking I was miserable. Couldn't understand how people who were getting sober were happier. Apparently i was self medicating myself with alcohol. My Dr prescribed me wellbutrin. My mood is sooo much better, and more stable. Therefore im happier, and since taking the medicine i haven't been craving. I feel so much better now. What im saying is its worth a shot to find out if you have any issues you didnt know about. Getting medication makes it alot easier to stay sober. And yes there is also medications to prevent relapse. Cant remember the name but theres one that if you drink while you're using the medication it makes it so you CAN'T get drunk or even tipsy. Would be a waste to drink. Go talk to your doctor.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

K54.... I use it daily. One thing I find is there is no right or wrong. So not sitting long enough or applying a style is not how I started.

I reminded myself to sit when anxious. Maybe only 30 seconds. Sometimes a full 5 minutes.

When not anxious I still sit. The important thing for me is the pattern and habit of stopping everything for a few seconds.

When I am out I apply that same mindset. If a strong craving comes along the only thing stopping me from it is a few seconds of thought. Real thought. Not the kind of should I shouldn't I thought.

It may take time to stick but don't leave the idea in the dust of trying to stay sober. It's my most valuable tool at this time for me.

And Welcome to SR!

Ken
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I medidated regularly in the past when sober and it certainly helped me deal with dwelling on negative thoughts. These thoughts and feelings would often make me want to drink, so I found meditation helpful.

I havnt meditated in four years or so, its hard if not impossible when you're drinking.

Im about to start again, guided tape meditations can be a good way to kick off the habit.

G
Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

I do Yoga 4 days a week, which includes meditation as well. I'd like to suggest looking into some 'guided' meditation audio tapes. They are quite effective and I find them easier to navigate through sometimes than doing it all on my own.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes I use step 11, its apart of the very highly successful AA program so I use it, yes.
The new rage today is step 11 meetings. I walked into one when they were first rolling out in my area, not too sure where others saw it in the world and copied it here, but I walked into a room a little late while they were in meditation and saw people laying on the floor, laying on the couches, and others just sitting there. I was agast, I was like what the heck is this going on here. So I walked right out, have been to a few since they rolled those step 11 meetings out. They were useful but for me prayer and meditation (not medication) is a personal issue, I like to talk to my Higher Power alone. Man has times sure changed over the years, from limited government liquor stores to countless private liquor stores to packed gymnasiums full of cancerous smoke to cant smoke within 10 meters of a door, to now step 11 meetings.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've heard meditation is a great tool. I just haven't been able to truly master it yet!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for the responses. I can use all the tools I can to maintain sobriety.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've done a few of these guided meditations. I also attend a "Heart of Recovery" meeting at a local Shambhala Center. It's changing my outlook on life.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...291CEAD2B17432

Heart of Recovery | Pittsburgh Shambhala Meditation CenterPittsburgh Shambhala Meditation Center
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I pulled out a book from my bookshelf last week titled "The Skill of Happiness." The author teaches a process he developed that he calls "Vivation." It's a breathwork-emotional healing process. I had found a used copy on Amazon.

Not being an expert on meditation, to me it seems like a form of meditation. Reading and practicing the technique is helping me.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I meditate most every day (not specifically MBRP), and find it tremendously beneficial to my well-being and staying in control of my life.

Don't get too frustrated if you can only do a few minutes to start with. The important thing is to do it every day. My back hurt something fierce the first few weeks, and I could not do more than five minutes at a stretch, but my bodily and mental muscles got conditioned pretty quickly.

I hope you keep it up and let us know how you progress!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lover of the Light

I mediate nearly daily. Mostly as I'm giving reiki my mind clears. It is a cornerstone for me.