Notices

Acceptance

Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

Just have to accept I can't drink and start working towards sobriety !!!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

There is a slight variation in embracing sobriety unconditionally.

The unconditional part is important. There is always the part of me that wants a drink. I accept it is there, but it can be persistent and patient
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

That is exactly what I had to do. Once I accepted it, it was like a weight was lifted. Then I could start working on what I needed to do.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That acceptance is such a huge step. It's down in the core, no question. Realizing that drugs (including alcohol) don't make us well but instead mask our pain is part of becoming whole. Thank you for posting.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Like being between a rock and a hard place. Except, then you realize that you have the power and capability to move that rock out of the way and get out.

Sobriety is yours for the taking!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Before I accepted what I am I was trying to climb a steep rocky hill backwards...

after I accepted the reality of myself and my life, the road got a lot less steep and less rocky...and I turned myself around so I could see where I was going.

You can too Liss

D
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to accept that drinking was no longer an option for me. When I was able to do that, when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, then I could stay sober.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

that acceptance is massively important.

i'm newly single and already worrying about dating - but i have to put my sobriety first even though it would be so EASY not to tell a new person i don't drink...
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I had to accept that drinking was no longer an option for me. When I was able to do that, when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, then I could stay sober.
That is how it was for me as well.

I fought for so long to keep something in my life that was slowly killing me, and then the time came where I stopped fighting; I surrendered. It was the first real peace I have ever known in my life.

Love you so much liss. ♥

V xx
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
That is how it was for me as well. I fought for so long to keep something in my life that was slowly killing me, and then the time came where I stopped fighting; I surrendered. It was the first real peace I have ever known in my life. Love you so much liss. ♥ V xx
love you lots xxxx
Old 03-02-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Acceptance is key but it can be more complicated than it first appears. I have grown to believe that acceptance is a process, not a decision or single event. It can be like a hard rain falling on rocky ground; most of it runs off before it gets a chance to soak in. Acceptance seems to reach me in waves, little by little in small incremental steps. And just when I think I'm completely there I find there's farther to go.

I have made my Big Plan, and I know intellectually that I can't ever drink any amount ever again. If I do I'm 100% certain I'll fall back into my old routine, and it will probably be worse. But for all that I occasionally fantasize in front the wine display, and sometimes that sneaky old AV/Beast will say c'mon, how realistic is it that you're never gonna go back to the wine again? All I can do at that point is to remind myself that I'm making that decision, not my Beast.

The part of acceptance that I'm struggling with now is accepting that I must finally take some steps to live as a grownup! In some ways being drunk daily for decades had me in a state of permanent adolescence; I made no important decisions, entered few meaningful relationships and avoided any meaningful examination of the future. Now, it would seem the future is already here.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeap, it's a great milestone, I struggled for years, fighting against it and hoping I could moderate, but after failing over and over it was time to accept!!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interesting and enlightening words written here, Im on day three so still mentally battered but I still desperately want a sober life. After nearly four months sober before my last slip Ive realized wanting it and living it are two different things, a part of me however small 'wanted' to drink more than i wanted to be sober. I have a lot of soul searching to do and I hope and pray we can both do this liss. Wish you all the best my friend. Lx
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post. It is where I began too. I can't drink. I accept that. It is working for me.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Acceptance is the first step. But for me I had to do other things too
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Acceptance is important but even more important is unconditional acceptance.

Working towards sobriety is not unconditional. It leaves the door open and as long as that's the case the AV will always have it's foot in there so you can't close it.

There can be no acceptable excuses. It's that decision that brings tremendous relief.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The notion that I could drink like other people had to be smashed. I believe surrender is just joining the winning side.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Today

This is soooooo hard for me. When I get any sobriety under my belt I convince myself it's ok to have a drink and it never ends well.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Well liss, from 7:54pm till 11:36pm, you made over 3 hours sober on a Saturday night, now just to make 4, 5, 6, 7 etc etc. You know you can do it, you did it before, you just need to come to terms with how satisfying life can be without drinking! We're all here for you, keep coming back!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1step we can do this I just know it in my heart I have fallen to many times , now it's time to live life a sober life. I have taken something from each slip relapse I am truly alcoholic I have done a lot of research now I believe it with all my heart, we deserve a sober life full of goodness this exsisting is so painful xxx