Notices

understanding anxiety & stress

Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

understanding anxiety & stress

This is my 2nd attempt to quit drinking. I'm 35 year old male who has been an alcoholic for 15 years. I'm sober for 1 month now and I'm dealing with anxiety right now. The good news is I expect this anxiety and I know it is part of the process. The bad news is it is driving me nuts! So used to drinking stress away. just have to retrain my brain to cope in positive manner.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yup. I also found that right about the time I figured out how to cope with the anxiety, most of it went away. somewhere in the 75-80 day range for me. Your mileage may vary.

Alcohol induces anxiety, then the addiction convinces you it's the cure. The insipid cycle.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, exercise and meditation (mindfulness) are the primary tools I use to keep anxiety in check. That being said, it took several months before the mediation started to help. For those months it seemed like a lot of effort for little payback. Finally the light went on and I realized how meditation helps. It works for me ... it might be worth considering.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 92 here and most of the anxiety is gone. Keep going! A month is great!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I was released 4 days ago from jail. I have worked out every day for 2-3 hours. Still feels like I'm literally running from stress and anxiety.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anxiety is common for most of us...for a little while, anyway.
Exercise is one of the best ways to try and combat it.

Like I said, it should get better.

If you feel it's not getting better in a week or two, or if it's concerning you at all, a visit to your local Dr may help

D
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do the exercise, yoga, clean diet routine to maintain and fend off cravings. I did talk with my MD about the anxiety in the early stages of recovery. She helped me develop a plan and provided some tools to help. Really helped/helps me with the racing thoughts and general anxiety and allows me to focus on filling in the gap leaving alcohol used to fill. It does get better.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety is the absolute worst part in my opinion. I could deal with the night sweats and insomnia...I'd almost rather that than having anxiety randomly creep up and not knowing what to do with it. You can only work out for so many hours in the day...if I could work out forever to keep the anxiety at bay, I would!!! However, not physically possible haha. I'd also probably stand in the shower forever, but of course, hot water heaters don't pump out infinite amounts of hot water lol
Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will find that some of the anxiety will go away and you will learn healthy ways to deal with the rest of it.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That anxiety is a killer, I know, but it won't last forever. As Dee said, if it doesn't get better in a couple months, see your doctor for help.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just hit a year and the anxiety is still my biggest trigger and seems like my best excuse for a drink. It does get better but I don't know how long it takes to go away completely. Hang in there though we are all rooting for ya!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree it does definitely get better. In the early days it almost led me back to drinking - even though I knew that would made it worse. At a few months sober it calmed down a lot. Charliee I'm sorry it's still causing you trouble.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hey folks... if you like to read, I know a book that may help with anxiety issue's.

The Power Of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It is helping me immensely.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

For me the anxiety is the worst part of quitting. For about 2 1/2 weeks it was horrible, then it started to get better. Up until yesterday afternoon, I was thinking that the anxiety was behind me, then it started creeping in there again and is quite troublesome today. I'm going to go to bed soon with my Kindle, cup of tea and snacks, hoping tomorrow is a better day. At least I know now that there will be anxiety free days. Oh - I'm on Day 28.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

When quit in the past, I dealt with anxiety by telling others I was anxious and wanted a drink. This led to conversation, which would calm me down. Still good to feel anxious or stress than nothing at all
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

I find that a bucket of ice cream helps me out but then again, my waist line tells me that I have been too stressed recently.

I need to get back to the gym soon! It was a big help for me, made me feel healthier and improved my self-esteem too.