Notices

Hit rock bottom

Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

Hit rock bottom

So I am new here. I thought I hit rock bottom in September of 2013. I got a DWI and hit & run with my wife in the car. My drinking increased though and we got a separation. I've been a bartender and bar manager for almost 15 years. So going into February I was a 35 year old man living with his mother and I was an alcoholic. What my family didn't know was I was getting bombed every night after work and driving home.

On February 7 I was arrested for my 4th DWI. I blew a .25. My family let me stay in Jail for 3 weeks before bonding me out. I detoxed there. I face 3-6 months of jail, have no job, no wife, and have an uphill battle with sobriety.......

But I'm sober. I'm alive. I have done this before. I have a drive to quit for good. I stopped for nearly a year in 2011. Monday I start groups. 90 hours of extensive outpatient. I'm coupling that with AA and looking into inpatient as well. I'm working out daily again. And I'm learning to deal with my anxiety and stress as a natural part of life. I can do this.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

There are still worse bottoms out there too.

Good luck to you
Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes you can do it Forghetti. You sound ready and determined. You can reclaim your life and rebuild everything.

Welcome to SR - it's so good to have you here. This is the best place to be for encouragement and support.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

Thanks to you guys. And YES captain, you are correct.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. Yes, it could be worse. And yes, you can do this and come out stronger on the other side. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I made the mistake once before of attempting to drink in moderation. I won't be making that mistake again.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Forghetti - really glad you found us

D
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

God is the rock at the bottom...... hang on for dear life!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I really do hate the term "rock bottom". I finally have gotten to the point where I give up on thinking alcohol is needed. I'm tired of everything alcohol brings. I lost so much and alcohol has given so little. The recent legal issues and personal issues finally has opened my eyes to the current situation I can no longer ignore. I'm throwing my life away if I go down the wrong path. I'm 35 and not getting any younger.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You sound determined. Welcome.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Forghetti and thanks for your honesty! You'll find a whole host of great people here! Some have many months to years of sobriety and offer amazing advice because they've been there and figured it out! Others like myself are relatively new and still trying to figure their own $h/t out. But everyone is here to help!! Sounds like you have a great attitude and welcome to the family!!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like your feet have found a good path.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

This already seems like a good fit. I wish I had this tool for the last time I got sober. It would have been a beneficial resource to keep me from falling back into the trap. Oh well, I here now and fighting the good fight again.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Stick with it Forghetti and recall your words a few paces down the road. It's not an easy road but it's a heck of a lot better than the one we was all travelling on, certain to desctruction.

There is life after booze, all these people around you are proof of that.

Enjoy your journey and stick with us at SR, the people here are phenomenal x
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I'm really loving this community! Thanks for all the support.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome forghetti! I'm only a week in but every minute it's easier to feel better about just being who u are without alcohol. Stick to it! U won't regret it
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Welcome to the SR family Forghetti! I come to this site anytime my mind begins to wander toward alcohol or if I just need a boost. It does help me and serves as a good reminder of why I am staying sober.

Sorry to hear about your recent issues but things can improve if you are ready and willing. Time forgives us and there is a better life waiting for you to take it. Hope you will stick around and keep coming back!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

You must be scared, I am so sorry. Thinking of you and that precious boy in your pic!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Welcome. I never regret not drinking
Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forghetti35 View Post
So I am new here. I thought I hit rock bottom in September of 2013. I got a DWI and hit & run with my wife in the car. My drinking increased though and we got a separation. I've been a bartender and bar manager for almost 15 years. So going into February I was a 35 year old man living with his mother and I was an alcoholic. What my family didn't know was I was getting bombed every night after work and driving home.

On February 7 I was arrested for my 4th DWI. I blew a .25. My family let me stay in Jail for 3 weeks before bonding me out. I detoxed there. I face 3-6 months of jail, have no job, no wife, and have an uphill battle with sobriety.......

But I'm sober. I'm alive. I have done this before. I have a drive to quit for good. I stopped for nearly a year in 2011. Monday I start groups. 90 hours of extensive outpatient. I'm coupling that with AA and looking into inpatient as well. I'm working out daily again. And I'm learning to deal with my anxiety and stress as a natural part of life. I can do this.
Congratulations, you are alive. Well I am glad you view this as a "Rock Bottom" and hopefully it is. However if we continue to drink, there is always another bottom. So there are 2 choices. Do we continue on to the bitter end, in the alcoholic haze of booze, or do we start to live on a spiritual basis, sober? The 12 steps has helped millions of people, it might be able to help you if you are honest and want help. There are AA meetings everywhere, all around the world. The Big Book is written in countless languages. The good news is my friend that there is a high recovery rate of above 75% if we follow the suggested steps, in order as they are layed out in the Big Book, the Alcoholics Anonymous text book. A text book is meant to be studied. We need a teacher, the teacher is called a sponsor, you find them in the meetings of AA. So the first step is to not drink. Next, go to a few meetings, get a Big Book, get a sponsor. And things will get better in time. You will be amazed before you are half way done, you will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it, you will know a new freedom and a new happiness. I view it like this, AA is a major highway. Call it 8 lane highway. Many drive it, some in the center, some off on the shoulder, but its a highway to a new freedom.

Your story reminds me of me. I blew trips as well, but things didnt turn out favoribly with my case as it did with you. I wish mine was a simple trips BAC arrested, cuffed n stuffed lost license, vehicles, house, marriage, kids, limbs, life, blood, scars. The ultimate bottom is 6 feet under. This disease is progressive (gets worse over time never better), chronic (happens over and over again) and fatal (death, dead). This disease centers in our mind. They way we think is our problem at hand, not our drinking. Our drinking is but a symptom of a larger issue. We need to change the way we think. By working the 12 steps of AA we change the way we think. We gain a higher power of our own understanding. This is a spiritual program not a religious program. So again, this is only one way to get sober, highly successful. However there are other programs out there that might work. I have tried most of them, if not all. I will tell you that some worked for a little while, but in the end I got drunk because I didnt change the way I thought.

Wish you the best my friend. A good lawyer is invaluable.

Good Luck