Notices

Hello :)

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello :)

Well, a newbie... I've come here because I realise I've got a problem with alcohol - namely vodka.

Some background information:

* I drink around half a bottle of vodka (35 cl/350 ml) of vodka mixed with Coca Cola every night
* I have done this for over a year
* I'm 21
* My dad does the same; since he was my age, he has had a problem with alcohol (although he doesn't admit it). He drank the same as me for 25+ years. Recently he has switched to red wine every night. Ironically, and bizarrely, liver tests on him revealed a perfectly functioning liver!
* There is a history of alcoholism in my family

I work in my family's Filling Station, which means my shifts are always 15:00 to 23:00. As a result, I arrive home at about 23:20, and the first thing I do is open the vodka and begin drinking. Although I do "crave" it, I also love the feeling it gives me. I often drink until 03:00 (or later) in the morning. Thankfully, I do not suffer hangovers.

I don't want this to continue, and I really want advice from people who have gone through this.

Recently, I've noticed my face becomes a red/purple colour when drinking, on my cheeks and forehead. What is causing this?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good to know you recognize a problem You're too young for a red/ purple face. Please go to your doctor for a little something to help you detox. Good luck! Blessings to you.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm new here too. 24 and its gotten out of control. The folks here are really great.
Its a supportive community- I've been browsing the forums for the past few days and
found a lot to relate with.

By no means am I an expert, but the consumption of ethanol in large doses affects your
blood flow, brain, heart, liver, you name it. Physical side effects like flushed/red face is common. Its also common for physically noticeable effects to persist for days after drinking as your body is riding the toxins.

As for you not suffering hangovers, if you decide to abstain from alcohol, you will go through some sort of hangover-like symptoms. But its worth it.

Welcome and good luck
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies!

The red face only occurs *during* the time I drink... When I awaken the next morning, my face is a normal colour.

But I'm glad I've joined this forum. I think it will help a great deal :-)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. We are a very supportive community and I hope we can help you stay sober for good. I agree with seeing your doctor for help in detoxing. Withdrawal can be dangerous, best to be safe.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Am

The red face could be a few things - only your Dr will know for sure.
I'm glad you found us - if you want to quit, there's no better place on the web

D
Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

Wish I had recognized I had a problem at 21 or 24. I just thought all bartenders were fall down drunks then. I'm 35 now so better late for me then never, but good for you all for recognizing at your age!
I'm new here as well and really enjoy this on line community. I can feel it will be a great help already
Old 03-01-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and good for you realising you have a problem. I didn't when I was your age. Well I kind of did but didn't have the guts to do anything about it xxxx
Old 03-01-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome am How smart of you to recognise the problem, I wish I'd been smart like you and fixed my drinking problem at your age.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi am welcome to SR x