Notices

Day 4... First weekend

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 4... First weekend

So today is my day 4. It is also Friday, which means weekend! I haven't really had an issue with not drinking a day or two during the week in the past. It has been a while since the last time I didn't drink on the weekend. Last year I went 5 months sober and made that mistake of thinking I could control what I drank. That sent me to the downward spiral. My husband will be working all day and all night so I am bound to get bored, which usually would mean, go get some vodka. What do some of you do when you get bored? I am not the type of person who can just sit and watch a movies, I get so antsy.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walk the dog, take a walk, see a movie or play, read a book, visit a museum, get together with a friend, take a nap, take a bubble bath. There are lots of things to do instead of drinking.

Distract yourself. Avoid your usual routine. Maybe go to bed early just to pass the time.

You can get thru this sober.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cook or go to the shops. The great thing about being sober is you can drive anywhere, anytime you like! (If you have a car of course).

If I'm really struggling with the AV, I go to bed, eventually I fall asleep.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SeaScape

I have to work out a lot right now to deal with my boredom and frustrations...I take a lot of gym classes...I don't even think about if I can do the class I just show up and join...BC it means I am not drinking during happy hour!
I do anything also...snoop in bookstores, bake treats ans I bought a puzzle...yep a puzzle...I am desperate to beat this though. I want a sober life real bad.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Get to your local AA meeting tonight. Here in my area, the last friday of the month is a chip meeting called 'Heavy Medal' for folks with more than a year.

I'm picking up my 18 month chip tonight. Chip meetings are a very positive experience and we have them here every friday. I'm making it one of my regulars so I can support folks reaching their milestones.

Here is a link to a page with meeting schedules in Michigan:
Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information (U.S./Canada)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gotta keep your mind focused on something else! I know how difficult weekends can be myself.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm messaging from the UK and we have a great magazine (hard copy and online) called Time Out, which has endless listings of activities and things to do in your free time. I think you have this in the USA, although I don't think it doesn't cover all cities. Time Out Worldwide - Your Guide to the Best Things to do in the World's Greatest Cities including London and New York

Even if there isn't a Time Out for your particular city, it's definitely worth having a browse on their website just to get some inspiration for what you might decide to try in your spare time... art exhibitions, museums, theatre, city walking tours, music concerts, sport activities, comedy clubs, pampering spas, cookery courses, photography / music / pottery / art / drama lessons etc, lectures and talks, markets to visit in your area...... the list is endless! You can find things to do that either cost money or are totally free, whatever you want. Or, as others have suggested on here, just do stuff at home like baking, reading, having a bubble bath etc.

I'm going to a dinner party this evening but have already mentioned to the host that I'm having a "dry February" (bit of a white lie as I've totally quit, but this is a more manageable excuse to give a friend who's only ever known me to drink!), and tomorrow I'm going for a trapeze lesson at 10am! Now this is something I'd never have even considered doing BA (before abstinence!) as I would have already planned to be hungover and in bed all day after a dinner party/drinking session. It's so nice knowing that I'll be up and active and doing something fun tomorrow morning with no hangover, rather than wallowing in my pit feeling sorry for myself all day!

Here's to an AF weekend everyone!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

why I decided to start on a Friday, I will never know - but it it Friday - and it is day 1!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I actually ended up grocery shopping and hanging out at Target all day so far. lol It wasn't very exciting but I did buy two books and some hair dye. Right now I am dying my hair. I think I may hang out in the chat now for a bit. Gracey J congrats on starting day 1!