Notices

Where I'm supposed to be or headed to crazy town?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where I'm supposed to be or headed to crazy town?

I know that I can be hard on myself and with that being said I sometimes feel like I am taking a step backwards in my recovery. I act out on my defects (angry, irritable), I get jealous, I feel hopeless, I obsess over alcohol and cigarettes or food or exercise. I obsess on what I am not doing or what I am doing..I literally can drive myself nuts sometimes! I really logically know that I will never "arrive" but lately I can't find peace with just letting myself be where I am at...Am I NUTS??Am I supposed to be further along? I haven't smoked in 7 months and have had bad cravings the past few days... and my sponsor today was like if you want to smoke so badly make a choice and stop driving yourself nuts LOL Oye vay...but I DON'T want to smoke, I just feel weird not having any crutch I guess. Thanks for listening!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Quitforme, when I was reading your post, I thought of the book 'A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle. It really helped me several years ago, to try to let go of all the stuff I was carrying, and to stay in the moment.

And, for me, I think we are all exactly where we are supposed to be on this journey.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna! I am in the middle of power of now by him but haven't picked it up in over a month...guess I should get back to it huh? haha Thanks for the reminder to try and stay in the present
Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its normal, it will pass. Nothing lasts forever. Stay in the moment. Maybe get to some meetings
Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

This is going to sound weird, but when it's really getting to you drink more water. I have discovered by accident, that many times when I'm frustrated or feeling overtired or cranky, I feel better within about 10 minutes after drinking a couple glasses of cold water.

Do things to distract yourself. I use an electronic cig for the times I really just have a major craving. I hardly ever use it, but just having it in my pocket helps a lot.

I find some weeks I just feel "stopped" and discouraged, but then it passes and it's fairly short lived.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I know that I can be hard on myself and with that being said I sometimes feel like I am taking a step backwards in my recovery. I act out on my defects (angry, irritable), I get jealous, I feel hopeless, I obsess over alcohol and cigarettes or food or exercise. I obsess on what I am not doing or what I am doing..I literally can drive myself nuts sometimes! I really logically know that I will never "arrive" but lately I can't find peace with just letting myself be where I am at...Am I NUTS??Am I supposed to be further along? I haven't smoked in 7 months and have had bad cravings the past few days... and my sponsor today was like if you want to smoke so badly make a choice and stop driving yourself nuts LOL Oye vay...but I DON'T want to smoke, I just feel weird not having any crutch I guess. Thanks for listening!
Dont take yourself so seriously. Take it easy. Life and let life.
Booze is a crutch as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you have to learn to stop the voice. practice observing it. soon you will be able to shut it out. Remember, you are not your mind.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, water definitely helps the nicotine urge. xxxx
Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't have much to say but wanted to give you a hug.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here quit - staying in the moment has been a boon to me

D