Notices

Paranoia?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paranoia?

Hi guys, so im 6 days in after collapsing last Friday and now am on a Scottish Island with family and no way of getting alcohol.

Apart from the insomnia I'm so paranoid! It's nearly 2am, I've checked doors are locked etc about 10 times and that oven is switched off etc.... Does anyone take anything to alleviate this madness?!! It's doing my head in - I just want to rest
Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just go to bed. Lie there and rest if you can't sleep. Stop checking the doors etc. Get some rest.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi swindon, posting here is a great idea and I'm glad you reached out. I've found taking deep mindful breaths, while concentrating on what my body is doing, very relaxing.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about paranoia but I was quite anxious and skittish.
I just chalked it up to my mind and body recuperating.

It got better.

D
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Answer it.
First, if you keep checking, then every time you checked it write down that you did that and note the time. You can look at your notes: at 10:45 I checked the door. It is locked, I locked it at 10:45 and here is the proof.

If that doesn't work all the way, then ask yourself this: If I did not lock the door, what is the very bad thing that could happen? Oh, well, robbers, bad people, whoever, could let themselves in.
How likely is that to happen?
Why would they come in?
Of all the streets in all the world with all the doors in it, why would these bad things pick your door over any other door?
How many bad people are out there on your street or near it who would do such a thing? None? One? A hundred? How many doors are there in the world? A trillion? Why your door?

If the oven is switched off and you wrote it down and checked the time you did it, and you know you did it, then can the oven turn on by itself? Is this at all possible? Most ovens, when you turn them off, stay off. This is how they are built. If you had a very *weird* oven that turned on by itself, what would happen then? You can bake a roast in an oven at low heat for 24 hours or more and still not burn any houses down. You can run an oven all day and there will be no fire at all. So if you did turn it off, and you know you did, and it is *very unlikely* to be a faulty oven which switches itself on because first of all that is quite rare and second of all that kind of problem would most likely have already evidenced itself...what bad thing could happen after that?

And so on. Keep answering the fear with rationality. If it shows up, test its reaity. Is it a genuine concern? If so, what can you do about it? If so, do most people walk around safe from such things anyway based on their true unlikelihood? If not...then go to sleep. You're safe.