Notices

Who has the time to be Sober?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who has the time to be Sober?

I made the decision to become sober on the 16th November 2013, there was no particular reason for that date, I even had to look it up as it was simply a random Saturday morning in November, no different to any other Saturday morning in 2013, I had drank myself to sleep the previous night and I was once again hungover, nothing new in that, that was my usual routine.

But that morning was different, yes I was making my usual excuses, never again, I need to cut down, something had to change, but something was different, I really felt the WANT to change rather than the last few years knowing I needed to change. Something had to give, my health wouldn’t keep rebounding from alcohol forever, one day I might find myself waking up in hospital with something more serious than a headache and an aching body.

It was then that I said, “let’s see what happens”, I decided to have my first Sober Saturday night in 5 years, but as many do? I felt a sense of fear, how would I cope? how would I pass the time? what would a Sober life look like? but I am grateful that somehow I made that leap of faith.

It has now been 103 Days, let’s break that down into 2,472 hours, even more so into 148,320 minutes, this is how long I have not touched an alcoholic drink. In the beginning I couldn’t cope with hours, I needed to break the days into 15min or 30min slots, I have now successfully completed 4,944 30 minute slots and 9,888 15 minute slots.

The last 8,899,200 seconds of my life have been completely Sober and for that I am incredibly proud of.

We measure life through time, and it is therefore only natural that we measure our Sobriety through the eyes of time, but time has taught me a lot more than accumulating mere hours and days,

In time, I have learnt about who I really am, alcohol blurred my perspective on myself, I have also relearnt how to enjoy life again, rather than simply numbing it, time has also healed my physical self, the aches and pains, the reliance my body had on alcohol, and further more time has healed me inner self, who I am, what I stand for, what I want to achieve in life is no longer held back by a liquid I consumed on a daily basis, it paralyzed my ambition, my joy in life and my potential.

I can now live life how I choose to, I am now in control of my own life.

This is my time!!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Wow, that's a lot accomplished in a little over 3 months. Congrats!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Lovely post, PurpleKnight!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome post! Congratulations on 103 days and the good news about your physical and spiritual improvements.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, purpleknight. Congratulations on reaching Minute 148,325.

When you talk of being in control of your life, it reminded me of what I was thinking as I got out of my car this morning and walked from the parking lot to my desk at work. It struck me that in sobriety I finally (or at least for the first time in a very long time) had my s**t together. I actually said it in amazement, out loud, as I walked: "Man, you finally got your s**t together." (I didn't reply to myself because, while talking to yourself is not necessarily a sign of being crazy, carrying on an actual conversation with yourself may cross the line - )

So, call it being in control of your life. Call it having your s**t together. Whatever you call it, it is a very good thing. And it is one of the best things that sobriety brings.

Again, congratulations. Best wishes for another 148,325 minutes, and more.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AlmA

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
In time, I have learnt about who I really am, alcohol blurred my perspective on myself, I have also relearnt how to enjoy life again, rather than simply numbing it, time has also healed my physical self, the aches and pains, the reliance my body had on alcohol, and further more time has healed me inner self, who I am, what I stand for, what I want to achieve in life is no longer held back by a liquid I consumed on a daily basis, it paralyzed my ambition, my joy in life and my potential.
Lovely post!!!
Is full of hope!
Glad you are overcomeing it!!!

Big Hug!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great post xxx
Old 02-27-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good stuff! Keep it up.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You have a good attitude. Congrats on 103 days sober!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love your posts, this one especially. Congrats on 9 million seconds of sobriety
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your success.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are such an inspiration to us newbies!! Thank You!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Purple Knight! I came in here on Monday, much as you did 103 days ago and put up my first post in a while. The Time is Now. And the time IS now for me and I feel the same change. This time I do want it and I am willing to do anything to stay sober.

Day 5 for me, One Day At A Time.