Notices

Subsituting Alcohol Weekend #1

Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Subsituting Alcohol Weekend #1

As the weekend approaches I'm trying to thing of ways to avoid alcohol and ways to substitute my drinking with a more healthy and productive habit. This is tough because alcohol has been apart of my weekends (intensely) for more than 10 years now. I wish I could be addicted to something that could better me. Does anyone have any advice on alternatives and ways to avoid alcohol?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

I'd try to stay busy with activities and such that don't include drinking. What about going to a movie? Visiting your library for a good book?

For me, I drank at home alone so had to change my mindset more than anything and make alcohol a big no-no. It got easier as I got more sober time.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No matter what, you gotta come up with a plan, no point in reaching Fri/Sat night and then wondering about it, the temptation may kick in. Also no point in just sitting doing nothing, with plenty of time to kill thinking about drinking, that's a recipe for disaster.

There are soo many things to plan into your first weekend, keep in mind that each weekend YOU get to choose how you'll look back on it come Monday morning, so every weekend isn't going to be the same, the mindset of I'm gonna be sitting in for the rest of my life now I don't drink is a myth.

My first weekend, I broke out some dvds, a large pot of Green Tea, played some online games, read a chapter of a book I had put off for years, and went for a long walk in the fresh air with my ipod for some tunes.

If your looking for something to get addicted to then hangover free Saturday and Sunday mornings give quite the sence of achievement being Sober!!

You can do this, and you hae SR in your corner!!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi TJ,

I've spent the last 5/8 nights at home alone not drinking. It IS possible. On the other nights, I was out having dinner, catching up with friends, or playing pool. I have found that the nights I am at home, I have the TV on in the background and I'm constantly reading and researching on the internet, posting on boards, things like that. For me, its harder during the week because I don't work full-time, and my schedule is pretty random. Luckily for me this weekend, I work both Saturday and Sunday, so I am not tempted by "the weekend" (heck, my entire week used to involve drinking...I live in a drinking town with a beach problem, with happy hours and specials every day/evening). What are your hobbies, if any? Is there anything you can do on the weekend that involves an activity? For example, I go to the gym alot (def a gym rat/addict). Not only can you destress but also get fit! I also like to do crossword puzzles or go on a drive somewhere and blare the music (any kind of usic I am feeling at the time). Just some suggestions for you and a heads up that, again, it IS possible!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey TJ. We have a weekender thread that gets started in the morning. A great way to check in... Get ideas... Keep you active in staying sober. Consider joining in the morning.

Either way. It is possible to stay sober. Putting a plan together for me way tough if I did not write it down. I would think of all these things I could do but when the weekend came oddly all I could think of was one thing. So writing them down helps me.

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bacon.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's funny, Nonsensical I saw a recipe for bacon pancakes earlier today, going to give those a go Saturday morning