Notices

Retiring and getting better.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retiring and getting better.

Today I went to physical therapy and was told I could now do it at home. They said I should be to 80% in a couple of months. I decided to just retire and start my new life as a retired sober person. I talked to personal and turned in my uniforms. It feels weird. For the first time in a long time I am not a working person. Wow. I am not sure how to feel about all this. Tomorrow I go get the paper work done and in the mail and talk to social security. I am not sure how I feel, a little sad as I won't be adding anything to the work force, happy that I am sober for this new chapter in my life. A lot of feelings going on and as an alcoholic I am not great at dealing with feelings. It is funny, for years I poured alcohol on all my feelings till they were numb, now I am not sure what to do with them. I am not sure if I am happy, sad, proud or a mixture of all. Just sharing. Not sure of myself right now. Advice anyone?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi huntingdon. I took early retirement from work in 2011 and I can honestly say that I haven't missed it for a nano-second! When I wake up each morning I still can't believe that each day is my own to fill (more or less) the way I want to. I spend a lot of time with my partner, I walk a lot, cycle when the weather allows, study and do voluntary work. I also do a weekly exercise class where I've met other people in the same position.

I must say that life is sweet and I know that other people who left when I did feel the same. They all look years younger too!

My partner retired just before I did, but his retirement wasn't voluntary and he struggled a little in the beginning. Now that he's had time to adjust, though, he is much happier and really treasures his freedom.

To me, retirement is like sobriety - a real gift and the opportunity of a whole new way of living!

Enjoy!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I retired I found it very difficult to engage the day. Work, although not particularly pleasant,had filled in the hours.
At this stage of event my drinking was no longer acute......more like moderate/dry drunk.
I did engage more in gym work, jogging and writing, but often felt at a loose end.
I imagine I could have very easily, once again, engaged in heavy boozery. Beware! It's a very cunning disease.
For the last year or so AA (also SR) has helped to fill in my time, along with doing some 12th step work...........things sort of crop up. Enjoy!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can allow this time in your life to be a time of taking care of yourself and doing things you enjoy with your family.

Retirement is definitely a life-changing event and being sober and taking care of your physical health will make it so enjoyable for you.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First and foremost Congratulations!

I already have one but if I didn't i'd be at the dealership, buying a brand new motorcycle and making plans to take off for at least a month. You've worked hard and you live in a great country. Thus, do yourself a favor, get out of the house and go explore the USA. If you're looking for ideas I'd start by purchasing the book, Ghost Rider, by Neil Peart.

Life will still be here when u get back.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Enjoy your sober retirement. I'm retired now as I'm no longer able to work. I enjoy my days, not having to report to anyone, and able to do the things I like.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. For the next two months I still have physical therapy at home, but then the world is mine to explore and play. I feel better just hearing from you all. Thank you all for taking time to answer.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Change is always a little scary to think about but the reality is rarely as bad as we imagined, huntington

I'm essentially retied but I have a full life. Volunteering in your community is a great way to stay active and be purposeful

D
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My plan is to retire in May. Have many of the same conflicting feelings. So excited about finally having my freedom but finding myself procrastinating on submitting the final paperwork (?). Have worked in some form or other since I was 12. Always had to be financially self sufficient and secure. More, better, higher. Where did the time go? I think retirement will be great, especially being sober....just got to let go... And find out who I am without any of the old fears. So grateful for it really...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have obviously given your all for most of your life. You should be proud of that. Maybe the sadness you feel is because you know that part of your life is over. Try to look at it as a new beginning; maybe doing things you have put off. You have earned a great retirement. ENJOY! Do you have any plans, like taking a trip, visiting friends or relatives or picking up a new or old hobby? Have fun. Stay busy.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Huntingtontx, retiring, FANTASTIC, rootin for ya.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Do a dance! That is the goal! Lol

You are probably feeling all of those things. Do you journal. Getting it out on paper helps me to identify and process because I anesthetized all feelings when drinking.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heyya, Mine was a forced retirement due to health problems. The first 6 months to a year I was miserable. I've always had a lot of hobbies, I resented work getting in the way. I finally got to the point that I could see my retirement as a blessing. I now have all the time in the world to play, and I love it. After almost 40 years in the work place it was a hard transition. The bottom line is we deserve it!

Best of all,

Ron