Notices

New and on my second attempt.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and on my second attempt.

I've just started over after going to outpatient rehab last year. I was addicted to opiates. I lasted about 6 months before I fell back into the trap. After I told my family I relapsed, I decided to move out of state for a little bit just to get away from it. It's only been a week but I feel like this was a good choice because I've completely removed the options. It's not on my mind because I don't have the means to obtain any pills here. But I am worried about what it will be like when I eventually go back. Thankfully I'm staying with my aunt and uncle who have been very supportive. My uncle has also been in the same position that I'm in. He's dramatically changed his life for the better. So I guess the question I have is if it was a good idea to leave or am I just avoiding the problem by cutting myself off from it? And when I do go back will things pick up right where they left off?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I all you are doing is abstaining from your drug of choice--by making in unavailable--then yes, you might fall back into the same trap when you return home. But if you use this time away from home to work on your recovery...a solid recovery...then I think that when you go home you should be able to stay clean.

Ask your uncle how he succeeded, then try what worked for him. They might work for you.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Do ask your uncle how he got and stays clean. Might be very useful advice to follow.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan0905 View Post
I've just started over after going to outpatient rehab last year. I was addicted to opiates. I lasted about 6 months before I fell back into the trap. After I told my family I relapsed, I decided to move out of state for a little bit just to get away from it. It's only been a week but I feel like this was a good choice because I've completely removed the options. It's not on my mind because I don't have the means to obtain any pills here. But I am worried about what it will be like when I eventually go back. Thankfully I'm staying with my aunt and uncle who have been very supportive. My uncle has also been in the same position that I'm in. He's dramatically changed his life for the better. So I guess the question I have is if it was a good idea to leave or am I just avoiding the problem by cutting myself off from it? And when I do go back will things pick up right where they left off?
You have good intentions. Regardless, although your drug of choice might be less available doesn't mean it's not there. My parents moved me out of a state that had a massive pill problem, to a place where drugs were a seemingly nonexistent problem. I found pills, they were much more expensive, so I eventually found heroin. Drugs are everywhere, if you have a will there is a way. You stated your drug of choice are opioids, if there are doctors and pharmacies where you live, there are opioids and there is diversion. Simply moving is an ineffective method if you wish to remain sober, you need internal motivation.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I think leaving town for a while coupled with everything I learned in rehab I'll be able to go back with a lot more control over the situation back home.