Notices

What to do

Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do

So I guess I need to change my plan. Not sure what the next step is. I just can't seem to get past a few days of not drinking. I'm not sure about AA meetings, I don't think I would feel too comfortable there. Plus the meeting here is at 8 o'clock, so it's kind of inconvenient for me. But so is drinking, so I don't know. I think I'm want to go running again tonight after I get off work and if I have to cook dinner and then go to bed to keep myself from drinking I guess that's what I need to do just for today.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

isnt it more inconvenient to drink. And the same with being uncomfortable. Isnt the feeling of not knowing what you did the night before uncomfortable.

The meetings are the only thing that saved me, and i tried everything else.

Give it a shot, but sit thru at least six meeting and then decide if it could possibly help.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If what you were doing wasn't keeping you sober, then it seems to me there isn't any 'guess' about it - change the plan!

AA is one way to go. Many people on these pages also find happy sober lives without AA. Totally up to you. I'd be shocked if there is only one AA meeting option for you in Atlanta, though. I live in a much smaller city and there are AA meetings just about every hour of every day.

Seems like you're groping for non-AA ideas. Check out the Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information section for some really good information you might be able to use.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
So I guess I need to change my plan. Not sure what the next step is. I just can't seem to get past a few days of not drinking. I'm not sure about AA meetings, I don't think I would feel too comfortable there. Plus the meeting here is at 8 o'clock, so it's kind of inconvenient for me. But so is drinking, so I don't know.
Reminds me about me. The next step can be disastrous if the wrong choices are made and being undisciplined and another know it all mine almost was. Not sure about a program which has helped millions over the years and still do, yep I had a certain TERMINAL uniqueness along with not being "that bad YET." I was not comfortable hugging the hopper or being miserable in my own skin for long periods of time but many considered that a little inconvenience, with many harsh times in jail wondering why or hospitalized in fear. We have choices today and some make it if we are honest with our self.

BE WELL
Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
...the meeting here is at 8 o'clock, so it's kind of inconvenient for me. But so is drinking.
As you mentioned, you need a plan. If you found the time to drink, you can find the time to recovery. Put as much effort into staying sober as you put into drinking, you are bound to have success.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you need a new plan. I highly recommend to just try an AA meeting. I myself do not completely agree with everything about AA, so I take what I need from meetings and leave the rest. I have stopped worrying about everyone else in and focusing on myself. I have made a plan and if someone doesn't agree with it then that is their problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

do you want sobriety to be convenient for you or do you want it to be your life?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is AA anything like Al-non? I've tried Al-non a few times and didn't really like it. There is a church near by me that holds Celebrate Recovery meetings but only on Friday, so I've been thinking about trying that. I might try AA tonight to fill in my time. So far my plan for today after work is run, cook, maybe AA.....

Another issue is we had unexpected guests show up a week ago. They don't have anywhere to go. It's added stress to my husband and I as we can cannot afford to feed and shelter them. But they also constantly ask us if we can get pills or weed. We have kids, so this is not good. My husband flew off the handle yesterday at them for asking and is going to tell them they need to find a place to live, hopefully by this weekend. Any advice on how to deal with this issue as well until they leave?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to the dread of potentially going to AA. I spent about a year trying to quit, only to find myself on a perpetual spin cycle of 30 days sober resulting in another horrific bender and withdrawals. The only thing that stopped this cycle for me was an outpatient rehab program and AA meetings. Why? Because a structured setting prevented me from 'forgetting' there was a problem.

I don't know if 'forgetting' there is a problem is an issue for you, but for me I needed a structured system in order to amass any extended sobriety time. Doing it on my own resulted in me forgetting about my original intentions, without fail.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

doggonecarl (this was the key to my sobriety)

Put as much effort into staying sober as you put into drinking, you are bound to have success.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't think I would like AA but I LOVE it now. I get so much out of listening to others, hearing their experiences. I know it isn't for everyone but it is worth giving it a go. Also, I've struggled for far too long myself so I am taking the advice of the people here and that is a lifesaver too. Best of luck and stick around.