Notices

Day 5: sober for the first time in 10 years

Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 5: sober for the first time in 10 years

I am very thankful I found this site. It really helped me thru this past weekend.
I was afraid to register yesterday because I am still very scared that I will fall off the bandwagon.
Today I decided I desperately need this site. I am very fortunate to have family who support me 100% and understand. I don't feel comfortable discussing this with my friends yet.
I was drinking about 1/2 gallon of vodka in a little under a week. It didn't start like that but boy, it ended up with a mess after 10 plus years of social drinking to completely isolating myself in my home at night drinking all night. I started combining the alcohol with pills (the 2 faves of America - Vicodin and Xanax) and knew I was getting myself deeper into trouble. I always told myself I could stop anytime but day 2 was the killer for me. No way, never mind. I think the only time the past 2 to 3 years of very heavy drinking, I had one sober day. I could reason with myself, I work full time, etc etc. functioning day to day.
Anyway, I am far from being cured or anything. I had a brief urge today to "just get a small bottle" and realized, whoa, I need to really work harder at this AND go home and finish registering with this site ASAP. It was a fleeting thought but also a very powerful one that totally caught me off guard.
I also reminded myself of this past weekend, the pure torture and torment of stopping last Wednesday, the shaking, the sweating, then that was the easy part. Sunday was the first day I found this site. Saturday, I was ready to be put away in a locked ward. I was so sick throwing up from NOT drinking. And the other end too. My body said, well, you did this to yourself, pouring poison in me every single night (and the past couple of weeks leading up to stopping, I was taking a shot in the mornings along with meds) so this is what you get.
Anyway, definitely taking this one small step at a time. I realize everyone has a different experience, but I wanted to share mine. This site is amazing and very informative.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too just joined the site and cannot remember for the last three years having more than a day sober, except for the past two-three weeks where I would have 1-2 days sober, until finally deciding to kick it in gear and now I am finishing my 6th day straight sober. Its the longest stretch in my adult life that I can remember prior to beginning to drink to start with. I am fortunate to not have had too many withdrawal symptoms...Ive ad the night sweats and insomnia, but I decided to stop drinking (if not entirely just yet, but for a significant amount of time and focusing on not drinking now, one day at a time), because I felt like my health was in danger. I am too young to die from something like alcohol complications. Heck I'm too young to die from alot of the crap I have put my body through, even though I probably should have by now. I digress. In any event, congrats on finishing the registration for the site and I hope we can both find valuable information and support!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi
Welcome ... SR is a great place to find help...and ideas! It has helped me understand what the hell was going on with my destructive ways. Hope you find support here too!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the both of you sscc and FlygirlJ - glad to have the both of you here.

Check out our Class of February support thread, if you like:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-13.html

D
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You will find lots of generous support here, and invaluable advice, any time of day or night. So stick close and like so many people here, you can really turn your life around.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome I am glad you have found us. You are right about the poison. If you continue to put poison into your body it will cause all sorts of health problems. The body though will recover if you give it a chance. I really hope you have seen the light and realise that there is a much better place around the corner. Best of luck
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to you both. This is a great place for support.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

The first part is the hardest. It does get easier with time. Glad you found SR
Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and congrats on your sober time xxx