Notices

aa meetings question

Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aa meetings question

I'm looking to join an aa meeting but some of the times next to them say 1st open n stuff like that what does it mean?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

o = open = anyone can attend. usually just 3 people speaking and telling their story.

od = open discussion. anyone can attend. they go around the room and everyone participates, if they want to.

c = closed meeting. ony people with a desire to stop drinking can attend. unless it says "o" or "od" it is asumed to be a closed meeting.

s = step meeting. one of the 12 steps is discussed.

bb = bigbook meeting. the book alcoholics anonymous is discussed.

t = traditions meeting. the traditions of AA are discussed.

pretty sure that's all there is, except for stuff like wheelchair accesible, womens meeting, mens meeting, gay meetings, and a few more that would probably not be abbreviated.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure thing. An open meeting is for any one who wants to attend, like non alcoholics.
A closed meeting is for alcoholics only.
There are Big Book study meetings. And others I can't think of right now.

I hope you do attend a meeting!

Best to you.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank u for that I wasn't sure what it all meant. I'm hoping that once my head stops spinning I can go to one tonight. I'm a bit scared though
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Thank u for that I wasn't sure what it all meant. I'm hoping that once my head stops spinning I can go to one tonight. I'm a bit scared though
I don't know anyone who wasn't scared going to their first meeting . It's fine to go with your head spinning, too. Probably in fact the best possible time to go. Peole will understand completely. I walked into my first meeting almost 30 years ago. I drank every single day before that, and didn't believe it was possible for anyone to stay away from alcohol for more than a few weeks. I couldn't do it for a single day. And I haven't had a drink since that first meeting.

The best thing I believe you can possibly do if you want to be succesful at this is become as honest, open minded, and willing as you possibly can. I've learned that the people who are most successful at getting and staying sober, enter with that frame of mind. I had been beat by alcohol. I had what some people call the gift of desperation. I knew it, and I was willing to do anything and everything anyone asked me to, if I believed it would help me feel even just a little bit better. I couldn't live the way I was living anymore.

Best of luck to you. There is an awesome world waiting for you on the other side of the bottle.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
The best thing I believe you can possibly do if you want to be succesful at this is become as honest, open minded, and willing as you possibly can. I've learned that the people who are most successful at getting and staying sober, enter with that frame of mind. I had been beat by alcohol. I had what some people call the gift of desperation. I knew it, and I was willing to do anything and everything anyone asked me to, if I believed it would help me feel even just a little bit better. I couldn't live the way I was living anymore.

Best of luck to you. There is an awesome world waiting for you on the other side of the bottle.
It's interesting those words and feelings of 30-50 years ago are so true and work so many years later.

BE WELL
Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Call your local AA helpline and talk it through.They can also put you in touch with someone in your area to go to a meeting with,if you would like that.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
You'll do just fine.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just go tonight, it will take the mystery and fear out of it. Then you can make a more informed decision on whether you want to go again. Good luck!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Go in with the attitude of going to your favorite pub but you get to leave with better results
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Call your local AA helpline and talk it through.They can also put you in touch with someone in your area to go to a meeting with,if you would like that.
I second this! Welcome!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it's ok to feel uneasy and afraid.... but please go anyway.

You'll find the fears and anxieties will drop away very quickly.