Notices

Ugh, panic attack.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh, panic attack.

Oh how I truly hate them.
On my home-visit no less...

I had a really good day today. Went to the meeting, went over my step work with my sponsor, then went out for coffee/lunch with my friend. Got back to my dad's house feeling like something was off... Tried reading and the sense of independing doom started creeping over; noticed my heart was beating a little faster than normal; went out on the porch for some fresh air; fear is still there, my heart was beating faster, it was getting hard to breathe; started to get my shoes on to take a walk and my heart was pounding and it felt like I was going to die; tried deep breathing but couldn't get nearly enough oxygen into my lungs; I started hyperventalating, I shook, I felt like I was having a heart attack.. The only way I can describe it was like I was in a violent hurricane holding on to a single thread trying not to get blown away...

Thankfully it passed after about 15 minutes, I feel better now, just a little nervous.

Anyone else struggle with anxiety or panic in recovery? Any good coping mechanisms? I just need to feel like I'm not alone.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are not alone.
I've had anxiety and panic attacks since I was 11 years old. Deep breaths and taking a break helps once they start. Also, doing something that occupies my mind like reading or playing candy crush. And telling myself that it will pass.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Always smart to get medical advice.
They are quite scary.
Slowly breathing in and out of a paper bag can help.
(Hyperventilation causes imbalance, thus the above.^)

Benzodiazepines are sometimes advised BUT beware of the dangerous addiction profile.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Used to have it- sorry you are going through this. Sent ya a PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jake

Breathing exercises - deep breathing - helped my panic attacks.

It takes a bit of practice because the very act of panicking tightens everything up, but a few minutes deep breathing - right down into your diaphragm helps me.

These are generic exercises not for panic attacks specifically but they help me - if you have a therapist they may have specific ideas on treatment of panic attacks.

Breathing Exercises

D
Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started yoga last summer and have been amazed how calming it is.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I second the breathing exercises. Doing them right can bring your heart rate and BP right back down.

The second is distraction. Do something that takes you out of your mind, be it going for a run, calling someone to talk or playing a video game.

Sometimes I've even gotten panic attacks in meetings, so I just get up and walk around the block. A temporary change of scenery helps me tremendously.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes breathing in and out of a paper bag is a very simple treatment for a panic attack.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would seek medical advice. The only thing that works for me is SSRI's (antidepressants)...had them in my early 20's and the meds stopped them completely. They r the worst.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The time for change is now

Sorry that you get panic attacks, I know personally how rough they can be. I hate panic attacks! It helps me if I just turn everything off...TV, Phone, laptop, etc. and just sit and concentrate on my breathing. I know it sounds too simple for it to work, but in my experience it has. I joined SI a few days ago, but reading others posts and comments has been helping me a lot with the anxiety. If nothing else, to know what you said, "just need to feel like I'm not alone."

Thanks for your post Jacek
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As others have suggested, deep breathing is good. Maybe try a simple mantra. As you inhale, think, "I am" and as you exhale, think, "at peace". Make each inhale and exhale last at least four counts. If you are some place where you can lie down, an easy yoga pose is "legs up the wall". Lie on your back and raise your legs straight up and flex your feet as if you were trying to walk on the ceiling. You can actually lie down next to a wall and put your legs as close to the wall as you can while doing this pose. Very good for anxiety.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The time for change is now

I've done the meds route also...I like the breathing, meetings, and therapy combination way better than I liked the Benzos.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have noticed that my panic attacks have become far less frequent with more sober time under my belt. I haven't solved the riddle completely - I don't think anyone has - but I am sure that if you stay sober that will help!

I think another key is to try and accept them when they happen. You've had them before, and everything eventually becomes alright again. You're not going to die, and people are there to help you if you break down. This is not the end of the world, it's just a mental condition where our brain and body overreact a bit and get wonky. Aside from being frightening (which I admit is not fun) they won't harm you. Stay the course, slow and steady, breathe, and let it pass.

I empathize though, they're the worst and I also become very "fragile" for about 24 hours after I've had one, for lack of a better way to explain it. Sorry you had that happen, and I'm glad you're feeling well now. Get some rest, take it easy, and start off tomorrow fresh and relaxed. All the best.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jakec,
Yes! My panic attacks hit about day 23 of my sobriety. I still get them but not as much as I did a couple of weeks ago. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they are gone for good. I, personally think that being an alcoholic left it so that I didn't deal with difficult things in life and panic was definitely one of them... until alcohol actually started causing MORE panic eventually. Have you ever considered seeing a therapist? Therapy I find helps you get to the root of your anxieties. It might cost some money, but it is well worth it because therapy has really helped me whenever I can feel the anxiety beginning I have some tools on how to deal with it. I hope you are feeling better. ((HUGS))
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

me too

Hey Jakec,

I have had panic attacks since my early 20's, I drank to get rid of the feelings, and then started taking Paxil b/c my doctor told me I was dealing with generalized anxiety, with panic disorder. Fun! I took the pills as prescribed, and kept right on drinking. Fast forward 10 years....

I am now sober 9+ months, and the anxiety, panic started up again, this time I am giving the medication another try, and its truly working. I have been on it 3 weeks now, and I had a small blip of an attack, and since then its been smooth sailing. I would recommend for the panic attacks, getting to a Psychiatrist and telling him about your symptoms, try out a pill and see if it makes you feel better. Chemical imbalances are horrible b/c you can't take a test for them, you just have to experience the pain, and then tell someone. Honesty is key.

Also, sobriety will open your eyes wider to the need for medication if you truly need them. And Benzos are NOT the answer. They are a temporary fix to a permanent problem... and will lead you back to drink.

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
Oh how I truly hate them.
On my home-visit no less...

I had a really good day today. Went to the meeting, went over my step work with my sponsor, then went out for coffee/lunch with my friend. Got back to my dad's house feeling like something was off... Tried reading and the sense of independing doom started creeping over; noticed my heart was beating a little faster than normal; went out on the porch for some fresh air; fear is still there, my heart was beating faster, it was getting hard to breathe; started to get my shoes on to take a walk and my heart was pounding and it felt like I was going to die; tried deep breathing but couldn't get nearly enough oxygen into my lungs; I started hyperventalating, I shook, I felt like I was having a heart attack.. The only way I can describe it was like I was in a violent hurricane holding on to a single thread trying not to get blown away...

Thankfully it passed after about 15 minutes, I feel better now, just a little nervous.

Anyone else struggle with anxiety or panic in recovery? Any good coping mechanisms? I just need to feel like I'm not alone.

Thanks.