Courage To Change 02/23/14

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/23/14

Even as a child, I had grown-up responsibilities, so it's no wonder that I grew up to be a caretaker. It seems so comfortable, so automatic to think of others first and to give myself completely to whatever crisis was at hand without a thought for myself. When I became aware that this was not one of my most admirable traits but was instead of form of self destructiveness, I was horrified. I set out to wipe out all such behavior and attitudes. I was determined to become as self-involved and uncaring as possible.
Fortunately, I failed to make such a radical change. Today, years later, I am still a caretaker, and I probably always will be. But now I consider it a valued characteristic, a gift of my upbringing that can greatly enhance my life if I don't carry it to the extreme. Although I know longer do things for others that they could do for themselves, I still try to be nurturing to them as well as myself. Al-Anon helps me to find some balance.

Today's Reminder

Today I will try not to condemn parts of myself while excepting other parts. I am a composite, and I love myself best when I embrace all that I am.

"My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents, and I lay them both at His feet."
~Mahatma Gandhi