Notices

Totally new to dealing with this at all

Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Totally new to dealing with this at all

Hi Everyone,

I never joined anything like this or talked to anyone about alcohol like this before. I am happy I found this place, but also wary. I'm determined to abstain from alcohol for MANY reasons, but I worry a lot about failing.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome your purpleness! This is the place to get the support you need, so just log in and post whenever you feel a slip coming. I've been saved several times from picking up a drink and there are folks from around the globe ready to help out.

The only thing you need to be wary of is your AV (Alcoholic Voice) trying to convince you to drink. We are here to help, 24/7.

Glad you joined us!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Purple

You've found a wonderful community - theres a lot of support here.
SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same.

D
Old 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much!! I was actually worried no one would reply! Seems like I'm in good company
Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there Purple, glad to see you and yes this is a great place for anyone who has a problem with drink and it is costing you more than money. Welcome x
Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I give SR a lot of credit for my sobriety. The wonderful people here have always helped me when I needed help. This is a very supportive site and I'm glad you joined us.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us! It's pretty normal to be concerned about failing in the early days, but you will find you become more confident as each day goes by.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Purple! I think you'll really benefit from being here with us. We're a friendly & understanding group. No one understands what you're going through like your fellow alcoholics. Yes, you are in very good company. We're glad to have you join us.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow! You guys have already exceeded my expectations, simply by answering and your warmth!! Thank you!!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We offer hope here. I was so low when I found this place I thought I was hopeless. And thanks to the good people here I found that I was not hopeless at all.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Keep posting, always a good thing to express ourselves.

Good or bad days, people will give you some feedback. I love this place!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a bit about me. I'm a newly divorced (after 15 years of marriage, no foul play, my decision) mom of a son in elementary school. I moved to NE USA from TX in 2000, so I have no family here other than my son. I have a professional career, and enjoy my work. I love running and obstacle course races, and working out. That said, I'm insanely embarrassed and ashamed I'm even having this problem. I've always enjoyed drinking, since college. My maternal grandfather was an alcoholic and died alone. I know his past means I'm already predisposed to alcoholism. I have struggled for several years, but recently have noticed my life slowly falling apart. It has affected everything from daily choices, to my health, family, and career.

I NEED this to stop before I lose everything. Thank you for reading this.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

Purple, welcome to SR and it's good to know a bit about you. This is a wonderful community and there's always someone here night and day.

It sounds like you have great determination to quit. If you don't mind my asking, when was your last drink, and how are you feeling?
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have never joined a forum of any kind before until I joined SR. Let me assure you that this one is kind. Good people. This forum has been a huge help in keeping me sober. Thank you for posting
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Courage. Well.... Glad you asked, because otherwise, I probably wouldn't have offered the info out of shame. I was a week sober, then hung out with an ex last night and had two beers with him. He drank nothing. This morning, I had another two. I feel TERRIBLE about it.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks for your honesty -- you're among people who know just what you're going through. That's why most of us find that the only way we can manage is total abstinence -- the first drink would set me off on a ride I don't even like to think about anymore.

If you got to a week once you can do it again!

And SR can help -- it's been helping me every day for almost 2000 posts!(yikes)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

2000 posts? WOW! That's very encouraging!!! Apparently something is keeping you here, so hopefully that same thing will keep me here! Thank you for the encouragement! I'm very all/none about it. I feel like once I mess up, my whole day/week is gone. I need to change that!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Awesome -- stick around & explore the site. It's full of great people, lots of support, interesting ideas & fun.

BTW, love your avatar
Old 02-22-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi! Welcome Purple- I can relate to your story. Especially regarding being athletic. I am a runner and tri girl...until I was too hungover to work out no bueno. I also can't believe I let my drinking get outta hand. I was born to pure bred alcoholics who all still drink.

It's not easy not drinking - but it's just so freakin' better. My health, my development as a person, and my life goals were all being ruined by binge drinking!

SR is great place to find support and information!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Purple xxx