Notices

Eating food with alcohol

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating food with alcohol

Hi guys,
I'm about 152 days sober today, was at a party tonight and didn't drink.
I couldn't resist a delicious tiramisu that had booze in it, I wanted the dessert, I couldn't have cared less about the booze. If I wanted booze I would have slugged it down, there was so much alcohol there at the party.
If I knowingly ate a dessert with booze in it because I wanted to eat the bloody dessert but not to consume alcohol, is that a slip anyway?
Hmm.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

How do you feel about it ?
I heard some wise people talking and they said "to thy own self be true" .. I used to like rum and raisin ice cream until the time i felt that small tingle in the back of my mind when i bought a different brand that was i found out after , 3% alcohol , then i was violently sick .. lots more different flavours out there that don't make me ill

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's whatever you think it should be. It's your recovery.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No its not a slip, move on to day 153
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NO....you're fine.... when you think about it....most cakes are made with vanilla extract....that has like 45% alcohol. You ate it cuz you wanted dessert...not cuz you wanted booze...
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a very personal thing
I don't consider food with alcohol in it as a relapse. But I don't like to eat food with alcohol in it as don't want to taste alcohol . I don't really like the taste of alcohol only drank for effect. You will get very mixed responses on this subject but it really depends on what YOU want
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I tell ya- that tiramisu was AMAZING! And I wasn't eating it so I could get drunk- I could have got stuck into the champagne, scotch, beer, cider, vodka, all the top shelf liquors. I just went for the tiramisu cause I wanted cake so bad! Haha.
Yeah I don't think I slipped. Onwards and upwards in recovery! X
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it were me, I'd say no. It wasn't a slip.

If it were me, I'd also be wary of that kind of thing. There was another thread on food with alcohol this past week, and I'll say again what I said there. For me, rum cake is no, penne ala vodka is a go. If the alcohol is cooked into it, or can't be tasted I have no issue. If it can be tasted and felt in my throat, it's a no go. Have no need nor desire to play games with myself like that.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some think that knowingly ingesting alcohol is slipping. Personally, I don't. I think its if I decide to get drunk and follow through with that.
I wouldn't give tiramisu a second thought but just be aware, some find that any alcohol triggers craving.
Take care
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm certainly no expert but in my opinion "No, that isn't a slip". It was dessert. If eating it brought on "cravings", then I would say to try a different dessert next time.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExWinoMom View Post
Well I tell ya- that tiramisu was AMAZING! And I wasn't eating it so I could get drunk- I could have got stuck into the champagne, scotch, beer, cider, vodka, all the top shelf liquors. I just went for the tiramisu cause I wanted cake so bad! Haha.
Yeah I don't think I slipped. Onwards and upwards in recovery! X
Try to learn from it though. Tiramisu, while delicious should not be the first choice of someone that wants to remain sober. Part of this process is building and crafting a sober life you want more than one that involves alcohol or drugs.

If you feel you are missing out on something because you are an alcoholic then you will relapse in my opinion. You have to get to a point where you actually desire being sober more than anything else. This means maybe not going to a party where everyone is drinking and the only desert is Tiramisu. Next time bring a couple apples and chow on them to get your sugar fix...its simple sugar too which is more healthy than the cream, eggs, and tons of sugar in Tiramisu.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Tiramisu, while delicious should not be the first choice of someone that wants to remain sober.
This
Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

I wouldn't consider it a relapse,in my mind there is no such thing as a slip,it would be a relapse.

Why if you are committed to staying sober did you choose to eat tiramisu?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I ate a piece of tiramisu at a party when I was about 30 days sober. So far, almost 150 days later I haven't taken or wanted a sip of alcohol. If you are confident in your sobriety, this should never be a problem. If you are looking for excuses to trigger drinking again, there are much worse options than eating a slice of tiramisu.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

this is way more of a potential mental issue than it is a physical issue. your addictive voice is going to try to seize on it and pull you back into the bottle. (trying to convince you that you've "lost" your five months of sobriety is one of its tactics, IMO). beyond that you've done yourself absolutely no damage.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it's not a slip, it's a tiramisu. Yummy
Old 02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts. I've gotten a lot out of the comments/suggestions. I ran into this a few weeks ago when my grocery store didn't have bulk Kalamata olives and I bought a jar of them. They were marinating in red wine. I didn't notice at the time in the store. So I pondered whether it was a slip to eat them. They were an ingredient in a grain salad so I didn't eat them straight out of the bottle but next time I will pay more attention to the label.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone needs to find their own truth I guess.

I gave up tiramisu

The alcohol in it may not make me crave more, but it might make me think - well that was fine...maybe I'm not as bad as I thought...

and the merry-go-round starts again...

I've ridden that ride enough.

I have lots of wonderful desserts to eat - to me, a life without tiramisu is not really a deprived one

D
Old 02-22-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'd eat the tiramisu and go on with my day happily.

Actually, I'd probably feel guilty about eating the sugar afterward.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm done with drinking. The tiramisu was yummy but I wouldn't make it my first choice of dessert as an alcoholic.
Yeah I feel sick at the thought of drinking. Blah headaches!